Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccathcart72 View Post
    I know the sites are trail side sites, correct?
    Yes they are

Do you have to reserve them or are they on a first come basis?
    You can reserve them on-line for $8.00 /night. Go to the SC State Parks site.

Also how far in are the sites from the nature hut area?
    I was on site # 6 which is right behind the Nature Building/Ranger Office. It is the closest one to the parking lot, but still pretty isolated. If you want something close, I recommend 5, 6, 7, or 8. 5 is not on the creek and 8 is 1/4 mile up the main trail.

I am looking a trout fishing weekend with my 2 boys up to Burrels Ford in the next month or 2.
    I love that area too. There are some great sites on the Chatooga near Burrells Ford.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Swampfox,
    Thanks for all the info.

I was introduced to Burrells Ford last year when we took some scouts camping up there for a weekend. I am looking forward to getting back up there.

Chris

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I stayed in site 12 for a week...it's a little over a mile in so you don't see much traffic, and you pass a nice waterfall right before you get there. River is just on the other side of the trail and has some good wading and crawdad catching spots.

One of the best trips I can remember with the kids.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesJonesGap.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I camped at #10 last November, right before you get to the falls you mention. Here is a picture of it.
    The Jones Gap Waterfalls.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - that's them. Looks like you had a LOT more volume flowing when you went, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That particular week in mid-November, it had rained solid Mon, Tue, and Wed. We arrived on Friday to a swollen, rushing river, sunshine and near 70 degree days, evenings in the 40s. My daughter-in-law, a budding photographer, took the picture of the falls. I'm buying a print to hang on my wall at work.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Rain Man is correct. I weld Galvanized doors and frames on a regular basis, for work, and I wear a resporator with filters specially designed for welding galvanized. Galvanized steel is any metal that is electroplated using zinc, and while welding the zinc melts at a much lower voltage than the sandwhiched steel. This causes a violent 'POP' with molten metal and noxious fumes to be tossed into the air, nothing like the sparks you see coming from a MIG welder on TV. In fact, I wear a leather apron, leather shoe tops, sleeves, hood, resperator, wrap-around saftey glasses, and finally a welding helmet. Makes it fun in the summer here in California where we can get up to 110*. The gasses that escape are visible as a thick, gray gas and heavier, denser whisps of yellow and white that float through the air easier than a feather. The smell, like rotting eggs, is hard to describe but never forgotten.

The caveat is that simply heating galvanised up is not enough to cause the same reaction. If you are welding some metal and you see white "dust" around your weld, it's a sign that you are welding Galvanized. If you don't notice any harsh smelling fumes, and it is not in direct contact with your food, I wouldn't personally worry about any leeching into your food. But as always, if you feel uncomfortable about it, then change to something else.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    And not to beat a dead horse... but just ran across another HF thread discussing use of galvanized metal in camp stoves, entitled...

Foldable diy woodstove

For whatever it's worth. As I said, I know just enough about this to be dangerous.

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123