inside the hammock insulation?

Not sure where this thread belongs. Neither in the top insulation, or bottom insulation forum.
    Looking for ideas on inside the hammock insulation.
    At just below freezing I found that an 8 foot piece of Reflectix® was good enough, and a Big Agnes Third Degree Foam Pad also worked at just below freezing. Thye Reflectix possibly slightly better because it was long enough to curl over my cold toes. This time out a Z lite, and lows above 40.

Except that they all shift around in the night.

Looking for ideas on inside the hammock insulation, and maybe a temperature rating for that train of thought. In Guatemala it got down to 80 something at night and I used a very thin foam pad so I did not have to sleep on the hammock fabric.

Hammock
    Outdoor Vitals Single
    Insulation
    OV Mummypod
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I just use a sleeping bag liner. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BIT004

It is nice because you can get it dirty and it's easy to wash. There are several different ones with their own temp ratings

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Not sure where this thread belongs. Neither in the top insulation, or bottom insulation forum.
    Looking for ideas on inside the hammock insulation.
    At just below freezing I found that an 8 foot piece of Reflectix® was good enough, and a Big Agnes Third Degree Foam Pad also worked at just below freezing. Thye Reflectix possibly slightly better because it was long enough to curl over my cold toes. This time out a Z lite, and lows above 40.

Except that they all shift around in the night.

Looking for ideas on inside the hammock insulation, and maybe a temperature rating for that train of thought. In Guatemala it got down to 80 something at night and I used a very thin foam pad so I did not have to sleep on the hammock fabric.
    Bridge hammocks, especially double layer with pad pockets, are renowned for being much ore comfy with pads than gathered end hammocks, and there won't be any slipping around. (at least with the pad pocket, probably at least a lot less slipping even without the double layer). Now, whether they are AS comfy as an UQ is up for debate. Although, there have been a few people who actually think the bridge hammocks are even more comfy when used with a pad. I'm sure folks vary about all of that.

But you probably don't have a bridge hammock, I would guess. Again, double layer/pad pocket hammocks do much better with pads, and the pad will not move once you are in the hammock.

But, for using a pad INSIDE a gathered end(or heck even inside a bridge) hammock, Speer hammocks(no longer available) mad something called a segmented pad extender(SPE). It weighed a few oz, torso sized, had some no slip fabric on the bottom to keep it from slipping. I still have mine, and used it for one very cold night with 2 thin pads placed inside of it, and had no issues with it slipping. I was also very warm. It had some side "wings" that you could slip sections of pad or clothing into to insulate the sides. Though you would have to make your own, ENO now makes a version of it.
    https://www.amazon.com/ENO-Outfitter...SIN=B007MS6KWU

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelieon
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Nothing yet
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    There’s also a specific hammock pad from Klymit
    https://www.klymit.com/hammock-v-sleeping-pad.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I have a brand new Eno Hotspot pad extender for sale if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But you probably don't have a bridge hammock,
    I have a Hennesy expedition hammock.

Has anyone tried the Klymit pad.?

Thanks for the replies gents.

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    I have that klymit pad and to be honest i hate it the darn thing slips and slides its too wide at night i never know what end is sticking up and out at the end of the night in fact i got so worked up over it parts of me are sticking out of the hammock to escape the thing. I can not tell you how how annoying it is and i would not recommend it to anyone ever!!
    Two days ago i got so frustated with it i got a 10 dallor foam pad from walmart its 79x35 so far i love it its not to thick it does not slip it does not crinkle it helps keep the shape of the hammock without annoying the crap out of me at night and if i needed to i can do a little cutting on the corners and it can only get better this is a indoor setting up only i would not even suggest taking it camping and so far its warm enough not sure about winter so far its pretty good but i sleep hot.
    Set up
    Dutch netless wide
    Double layer

Hope this helps
    Ashley
    Last edited by Festinalente; 07-18-2019 at 01:26.

• + New Posts