Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

New HH "DUH" moment re: center foot ridge pressure

I recently had a major "duh" moment with my HH Explorer UL, after all this time.I have always found this, my original hammock, to still be a front runner for over all comfort compared to all the others, though I sometimes think a bridge hammock is unmatched, at least in some ways . I realize many don't agree with me about the HH compared to many other gathered end hammocks. And while I some times feel that some some of the gathered end types are more comfortable in some
    ways, still, I have had many a great nights sleep on the trail in the longer HH Explorer.And because I sometimes still like to use my SS, I still go back occasionally to my HH Expl(now a No Net). In fact, I have used it a lot for reading and napping the last couple of weeks. With no tarp set up on my back porch, and with the temps not being all that cold, the wind block provided by the HHSS UC has been MUCH appreciated. With out excellent wind block from a well placed tarp, the
    wind can greatly degrade performance with even the warmest UQ.

But, despite the fixed ridge line, some times the HH just seems more comfortable than other times. And as per usual for me with gathered end(GE) hammocks, the most frequent problem is calf pressure from the foot end center ridge. Sometimes the HH would seem to have way less- or almost zero- calf pressure compared to any other GE I have tried, except maybe the huge HH Safari. In this regard, bridge hammocks reign supreme, with the possible exception of the Safari. And even that might require some shifting around to find the sweet spot that give zero calf pressure, which is a given with the BMBH.

But sometimes the HH Explorer would seem to be excellent in this regard. Other times, not so much.

There have been times when I didn't even use the side tie outs, especially once I got rid of the net. It always seemed to me the main function of the HH tie outs was to keep the net out of my face. But I recently found by accident that, when I tie the guy out lines really tight, comfort improves significantly. Particularly if the sides are staked to the ground, when you get in the hammock those lines loosen up significantly. ( Maybe not if tied up high to a hiking pole or branch)

So lately, while experimenting with the SS vs various amounts, or none, of side guy out tension, I found that a really tight foot end tie out significantly decreases the center ridge pressure. With all GE hammocks, I have usually been able to get rid of all or most pressure by pushing out with my right foot (DIAGONAL lie with feet right of center), which smooths things enough for a smooth spot for my left calf. But, it is a very temporary fix. It won't be long untill I feel that pressure again. My HH has less of this pressure than several others. And the above trick works well, but again temporary. I almost always have to resort to taking a jacket and placing it under my legs in a stuff sack. Which might not be available if I am wearing every thing, and having to do that is not a big deal, but kind of negates the benefits of and reasons for a flat position when on your back.

So, I finally figured out that a really tight right foot end guy line was correlating with the least amount of calf pressure. I sometimes still have to wiggle around a bit, or maybe push out with my right foot or pull the sides out with my right hand before final positioning of my feet. But now things stay fixed. I have found myself able to lay there for quite a while with either zero calf pressure or close enough that there is no discomfort. The tight guy line seems to be helping to hold the bottom in a flat smooth position, at least in a large enough area for my legs to fit without any pressure.

While laying there reading or dozing off, warm in the wind inside the SS, except for my glove free hands holding a book(cold hands!), I have wondered how any thing could be any more comfortable? My knees are not extended enough to notice, I am not aware of any side of leg pressure, every thing else is cushy. At least in this position, and not considering features like bottom entry or nets etc., I don't know how any other hammock could be any more comfortable. I do know how a few other hammocks might not be as comfortable.

Now, this makes me want to experiment with Grip Clips and a foot end line on some of my other hammocks!

Some of you HH users might want to experiment with this to see if it is any help, especially if you have leg pressure complaints, as many have in the past. YMMV!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Funny, I was just complaining of calf-ridge pressure and cold feet in the General forum.

Please keep us up to date on your side-pull experiments!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Well thank you very much BillyBob58, you just made me realize something... i hope it also help others with this problem.

What I realized while reading this post is that when I didn't have the SS, i always used to tie the elastic tieouts of the hammock to the ground, usually to the same stakes as the tarp. But ever since I got the SS, which I use almost every day to sleep at nights in my room, and every time I go camping, hiking or just to chill out at the park, I try to tie the guyouts to elevated points.

Now, i'm not sure if this elevation point does have anything to do with the calf problem, but I'm sure that I never had the calf problem with my HH until I began using the SS, and this matches up also with the fact I already mentioned that since using the SS I have been trying to follow the "more horizontal than vertical" tip for the guyouts thus tying them much higher than ground level.

Thanks again for your DUH moment report, it might have just solved the calf problem for my HH. I will be experimenting right away and see how this night's sleep turns out.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Well let us know if a much tighter guy out makes any dif or not!

Seems to make quite a dif for me, but time will tell if it continues to help and was not just a coincidence. I have some thin shock cord "quadrupled" to give enough strength to handle the SS. And remember even if it is pulled real tight, but staked down low or to the ground, it will be looser once you get in and the hammock sags towards the ground. So I guess it needs to be pretty tight to accomplish anything. I still like to grab the right edge and push it way to the right before I settle my feet, which get's rid of the pressure. But, I highly suspect the tight line is helping it stay in position, so far anyway.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Trekking poles

This is why I have always advocated using trekking poles to support both the tarp and side tieouts. See an old, but illustrative picture here:

When you get in with the tieouts configured this way, they actually tighten up. Like I said above, the picture is not of an ideal hang (from the -27F night with Shug), but it makes the point.

--Kurt

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    This is why I have always advocated using trekking poles to support both the tarp and side tieouts. See an old, but illustrative picture here:

When you get in with the tieouts configured this way, they actually tighten up. Like I said above, the picture is not of an ideal hang (from the -27F night with Shug), but it makes the point.

--Kurt
    Hey Kurt .... ahhhhh... the memories! Dang cold memories.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I'll confirm your observations. Ideally, the tie-outs would go to a branch at the same level of the hammock, which is more spacious and comfortable than running the line to the ground. Making it tight also helps, but I've snapped the shock cord a couple of times already which required the switch to 1/8th inch cords on my Hyperlite.

I've also been using the SS and top cover sans pad with good results. Of course, the pad adds warmth, but I don't know if the warmth is worth the hassle. A poncho liner seems to do just as well for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post

--Kurt
    Right. My experience is the same. But doing this is not always possible, for ex: if a severe storm pitch is desired, with the tarp in close and ends down close to the ground. So, for those needing to stake to the ground for whatever reason, a much tighter line might prove a help.

BTW, what has your experience been with foot end center ridge caused left calf pressure, when you are attached to the trek poles as in your picture?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    [QUOTE=BillyBob58;225048]Right. My experience is the same. But doing this is not always possible, for ex: if a severe storm pitch is desired, with the tarp in close and ends down close to the ground.QUOTE]

Mmmm... A grip clip on the inside of the tarp could be used as a tie off point. Perhaps in a pair to oddset the tension, one inside and one outside to prevent the tarp from being pulled in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've sewn tie outs to the middle of both sides of my tarp, inside and outside that is. This way I can pull the sides of my tarp out as well as have a point to tie my hammock pullouts to in a storm pitch situation. Has worked very well since the hammock pullout force is translated to the ground through the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast