It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    The Hennessy Expedition is made with 200d Oxford Nylon (actually 210d, but that's a rare #). Oxford is another type of weave, as opposed to Ripstop or Taffeta. It's very strong and quite abrasion resistant.

Joann's doesn't give any info on their website as to what sort of weave or weight their Sport is. It very well may be 200d Oxford (200d is pretty standard for Oxford). Oh, and I was wrong in my previous post, their Sport material is type 6.6, which is the higher quality (opposed to type 6) - so that's good.

My guess is 200d would put it in the 3oz/yd+ weight category. Plenty strong for a hammock and should carry lots of weight safely.

We really need a Definitive Fabric "What's What" Article here. I'm certainly don't know enough to make it definitive, but maybe I could get it started sometime soon, and add/edit as necessary.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Yeah, I know. I'm 4 years late. But an update might be in order. I just looked at 1.9oz ripstop nylon at Hancock fabrics. 60" width, uncoated, $3.99/yd. Don't recall if this was a sale or not. Price at Jo-Ann fabrics is $7.99/yd, currently with a $1 off per yard price. If you have a Hancock's Fabrics near you, then that's the place to go this week anyway.

Oh yeah, colors are limited two blues, black, green and, I think I remember an orange also.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Ripstop by the roll.com is about the cheapest I've found. Several colors too.

Ryan

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    www.DIYGearSupply.com has a long history of supplying hammockers with a variety of fabrics and other goods at extraordinary prices and excellent service.
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-21-2014 at 20:46.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    www.DIYGearSupply.com is where I get most of my hammock and supporting accessories making supplies. Just got a shipment of some thread and parts of a DIY tarp. Excellent prices and service.

For the lowest price on fabric then
    http://store.magnafabrics.com/ is hard to beat for fabric prices. Only thing is with them is you have to usually buy at least 20 yards at a time but then I have gotten ripstop for as low as about 0.75 cents a yard with shipping. No silnylon, I have asked them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    11' DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure if your set on a double layer but if not you should check out Dutch's site. I think his 1.6 argon is around $5 a yard. He also has light weight noseeum for your beg net. Then get some shock cord to complete a fronkey style net, 25 ft of amsteel will make 2 6' whoopies, and some webbing for tree straps.

I haven't done the math but I bet all this comes under $60 shipped (Dutch's shipping prices always seem to be the lowest).

Optional: Zingit for a ridgeline (I would recommend this) and some Dutch bling because u know you'll want it later.

Edit: Oops, just realized this is a 4 year old thread. Oh well I think my advice is solid for a new DIYer trying to get a hammock, suspension and bugnet all at one place. In fact I wish I would have done that instead of piecemealing stuff from EBay and Walmart.
    Last edited by JKDmoo; 08-21-2014 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDmoo View Post

Edit: Oops, just realized this is a 4 year old thread. Oh well I think my advice is solid for a new DIYer trying to get a hammock, suspension and bugnet all at one place. In fact I wish I would have done that instead of piecemealing stuff from EBay and Walmart.
    Maybe 4 years old, but still a great thread.... Worthy of being updated! Good info....

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Just got my order from http://ripstopbytheroll.com/ and couldnt be happier. 5 yards of down proof ripstop and 9 yards noseeum for a down underquilt and a new bug net. Now to just get to work.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234