Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wear And Tear On a Trek

I'm thinking about doing some vagabonding in the future -- several months at a time, mostly stealth camping. Given your experience with long distance travel, how many nights could one expect to get from a hammock system (hammock, tarp, & bugnet such as the Claytor JH or the Henneseys)?

Is this even a reasonable question?

I plan on sleeping with a pad, because if it gets cold enough to need an underquilt, I'm heading further south!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    As long as they aren't damaged, there should be no issue with using your hammock gear for the duration of a multi-month trip, and beyond.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have a hammock that has just shy of 300 trail nights on it (I think it's in the 270s). The only damage to be found was damage done in the backyard with the help of a metal clasp on the back of a ballcap. If I count 'yard nights', I'm sure it's close to 400.

Take care of em and they'll take care of you for a long time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    As long as they aren't damaged, there should be no issue with using your hammock gear for the duration of a multi-month trip, and beyond.
    Mostly:
    No (wood?) fires around your hammock or tarp, sparks even from a fire "a long ways away" are hot enough to burn a (small) hole in nylon. Also, no smoking in your hammock.
    No "sharp & pointy things" in your pockets. I even take my kilt pin off before going to bed to avoid putting a hole in my hammock, although I have never had it become unfastened. As posted elsewhere, even a small hole (poked or burned) can tear if enough force at the right place is applied.
    Avoid having any branches or other items rub against your gear. Including: straps, WhoOpie slings, netting, hammock, tarp, guy lines, etc.
    ALWAYS check for things that can fall on your stuff. Even a 2 foot long 1/4 inch stick falling from a high place at just the right angle can poke a hole in a sil nylon tarp, mine has such a hole (now patched) from such a stick. I did not even see the stick up there. Now I even look for the small stuff.

My primary hammock has been in nearly nightly use for over 3 years with almost no signs of wear. I now hang at home with my secondary hammock, the Primary still gets used every 3rd night at work & on any hiking trips, this started about 5 weeks ago.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Thanks guys.

It sounds as though wear and tear will not be a problem, barring stupidity on my part or accidents.

I've slept in mine for the past 2-3 years as my primary bed, most of it outdoors. I haven't had any problems with rips/holes/tears or anything. Now, tarps and netting on the other hand... I've had to replace those every few months.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The hammock will likely last longer than the tarp only because the tarp will be exposed to sun, rain, wind, etc. but it will certainly last long enough for what you are planning.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Switchback Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Crowsnest (soon)
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have wondered this myself as I would like to use a hammock for a long distance bicycle tour. I assume a double layer hammock would last a bit longer over a single layer or provide a bit more protection from wear and sharp objects. Is this a general consensus? Regarding embers, I like the idea of "breakfast from the hammock", but on second thought I would hate for my bushbuddy to throw a hole in my hammock. I guess an alky stove might be better, even though the bushbuddy does well at containing the fire.

Hammock
    Clark CAMO North American
    Tarp
    Clark Camo rainfly
    Insulation
    Clark z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Rider View Post
    I'm thinking about doing some vagabonding in the future -- several months at a time, mostly stealth camping. Given your experience with long distance travel, how many nights could one expect to get from a hammock system (hammock, tarp, & bugnet such as the Claytor JH or the Henneseys)?

Is this even a reasonable question?

I plan on sleeping with a pad, because if it gets cold enough to need an underquilt, I'm heading further south!
    I'm planning something similar for next year, but I'm trekking on Motorcycle so I don't have to worry about weight as much as I do the amount of stuff I take with me.

And about heading south, you're looking at desert camping or going all the way to the southern portion of Florida, because even my relatives in North and Northern Central Florida see 30* weather.

--Kat
    I tweet.
    I travel.
    I blog.
    I Live.

So then, are there any suggestions to prolonging the life of the tarps?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast