Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Learning stuff

OR: I knew better but did it anyway.

Hammocking:
    Item #1: I was not, read NOT going to admit this, but I went to ground accidentally Thursday PM, I had made a poor choice for a marlin spike & the stick disintegrated under the force of the Marlin hitch. I had tied it right and was hanging from the knot & not the stick. The stick was squeezed to sawdust after me sitting there for about 10 minutes. OK, I knew it was soft, used it anyway.
    Item #2 : As mentioned in "Broookville lake" I picked a swampy area to set up in. Had it gotten windy, my stakes could have easily pulled out leaving me unprotected. The ground got VERY soft over night & in the morning I did pull the stakes out with ease. On the plus side, I did pick a mostly sheltered area, thereby blocking what wind there was. BUT, I should have paid more attention to the lay of the land. Yes, I was off the ground, but had my quilt dropped to the ground, as it has at other times, I may have had a very wet top quilt in seconds. And, had I gone to ground as in #1, my down UQ would have been ruined with all 200 lbs of me mashing it deep into the mud from a 2' fall, or at least messed up for that trip.
    Item #3 hammock: The above campsite took FOREVER to set up in, I just could not get / judge the distance between the trees. I should know better! I need a minimum of 14 feet, kept picking trees 10 feet apart. Even with obvious tree selections nearby I was going to "Make it fit!" come hellorhighwater. Oh yea, I got the high water Did finally pick the right trees after about 5 other attempts. Even tried to set up after counting only TEN FEET.

Hiking items, in no order, but it's stuff that I know I should / should not do, yet still do anyway:
    Hiking a mile out of my way to cross a stream less than 2' deep. Whatsupwiththat?
    Not eating on day 2. Why do I still do that?
    No Pack Off Boots Off Breaks. I had AMPLE opportunities AND time to do just that, at least on the first 2 days. Even came to a picnic bench on day two AT LUNCH TIME & did not stop other than to re-tie my right boot.
    I have a $400.00 digital camera, with nearly unlimited storage & a good battery, yet I took a grand total of 7 pictures. 3 of them of a tree cut down by a beaver & none of the streams I crossed, even though that was a milestone in my hiking history.

There are others from recent hikes that make me refer to me as dumbass, but these were the triggers for this post. I'm not lamenting or complaining, & the post is to say "we are all still learning & that is OK"
    I think what upsets me most is all of the above are rank beginner mistakes, stuff I KNOW better than to do. When I picked up that stick I could tell (had I taken even a second to think) that I was going to hit the ground by using it. In the morning after getting the wet feet, with the same light as the afternoon before I could see that I was in a slight depression. I know how I feel after not eating on day 2.

So, from now on I am going to try to put in to play / practice all of the stuff i have learned the hard way (like hitting the ground ) and the easy way like here at HF & maybe some day I too will actually know how to hang & hike!

We have had posts on beginner mistakes, how about some "I KNEW BETTER BUT DID IT ANYWAY" stories from some "experienced" hikers / hangers.
    I can't be the only one! Or can I?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    ahh ... it happens ... don't sweat it ... blame it on an out break of Mad Cow Disease!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ever used stilts to hang sheetrock?

All the old timers laugh because the newbs hardly ever take a bad fall; they are far too careful and scared. They say really bad falls happen to the guys that have been doing it the longest. Those are the people that are 'sure' of their abilities and often overlook the hazards that the newbs pay close attention to when they're working.

Course, this is coming from a guy that hung over the privy area (unknown to me at the time) at a shelter. I went to reposition a tarp stake and it came out of the ground covered with, well you figure it out. It really was a nice hanging area; shame.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

Hiking items, in no order, but it's stuff that I know I should / should not do, yet still do anyway:
    Hiking a mile out of my way to cross a stream less than 2' deep. Whatsupwiththat?
    Not eating on day 2. Why do I still do that?
    No Pack Off Boots Off Breaks. I had AMPLE opportunities AND time to do just that, at least on the first 2 days. Even came to a picnic bench on day two AT LUNCH TIME & did not stop other than to re-tie my right boot.
    I have a $400.00 digital camera, with nearly unlimited storage & a good battery, yet I took a grand total of 7 pictures. 3 of them of a tree cut down by a beaver & none of the streams I crossed, even though that was a milestone in my hiking history.

We have had posts on beginner mistakes, how about some "I KNEW BETTER BUT DID IT ANYWAY" stories from some "experienced" hikers / hangers.
    I can't be the only one! Or can I?
    Oh, I feel (have felt) your pain - all of the above.

I've only managed to address one of these issues so far. (Life is full of problems and partial solutions.) I replaced my boot laces with permanently tied 1/8" bungee cords, making for easy-off, easy-on. It seems like a little thing, but it's made me much more likely to stop and stick my feet in a stream, air out my socks, and inspect my toes as I dry them. I'm not sure why this particular fix works for me. Other attempts a self-behavior-modification have failed miserably. YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    ahh ... it happens ... don't sweat it ... blame it on an out break of Mad Cow Disease!
    Mad cow disease huh?!? Yes, that could explain it all, either that or a HUGE Government plot to cover up alien invasions.

Cannibal: EWWW!!
    OK, now that I have said that: Yea, I figured it was a case of big head, "I know what I'm doing so don't have to think cause it will all come together! I'm just that good!"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    the other day I ended up on the ground in 2 inches of water due to putting my whoopie slings on backwards, they will hold for a bit then you will slide very slowly to the ground!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I goof all the time!
    No matter ..... we are out there messing up and about in the piney woods.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    I have one of those Byer Amazonas hammocks for my patio. I got some huge diameter static rope to hang it from (gotta be strong, right?) and hung it from the balcony at my apartment of the time.

I climbed into the hammock, and seeing that it was comfy, called my wife over to climb in, too.

That extra weight made one of the rope knots slip out and we both crashed to the floor (hard balcony floor, not the soft ground).

My wife is still leery of hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    the other day I ended up on the ground in 2 inches of water due to putting my whoopie slings on backwards, they will hold for a bit then you will slide very slowly to the ground!!
    or in my case (my 290 pound case) you slide rather abruptly and at an alarming rate... just glad i didn't put my uq yet. there would still be feathers all over the dwg that day... glad no one saw me.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I remember hiking and coming to this just plain perfect stream. But did I take my boots off and enjoy it....noooo. And I can't for the life of me, figure out why I didn't. I was hiking with friends, we all stopped, they took their boots off. I could see the pure joy of their feet loving that cool water. And I just stood there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast