Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    10x12
    Insulation
    baby fat
    Suspension
    tow straps
    this may be way to obvious....but what about just stringing up the tarp on a slight angle down, so everything drips that way?
    jamie

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've also got the white 12x12 gear guide tarp and it does not leak even in serious constant rain. I've also gotta say that when I bought it, I put it up in the back yard and seam sealed it. I just don't take any chances with my tarps regarding it being waterproofed by the selling company. I don't carry this tarp backpacking so I've not had to put it away wet and take it out the next night and put it back up. I have had it over my campsite for several days at a time in constant heavy rain and never had a leak. As bowguy said, I too will put a slight angle in the pitch to make the rain run off in one main direction.

Now with my Clark tarp, I've had condensation on the inside and when I go to put this tarp away, I'll shake the tarp and then wipe the inside to get as much water off it as I can. Then I'll roll it up with the insides together. Put into a seperate bag that I made for this tarp and this then goes into my front AARN pocket (not in the main backpack). Putting it up the next night, it may still be wet. I again will dry as much of the inside as I can. Only had it leak once, on the ridgeline where 4 seams come together and it was just a needle stitch hole (very very slow leaker). I resealed when I got back home and tarp hasn't leaked since. Even if the inside of your tarp is wet when you put it back up, it shouldn't be able to "leak" through from outside to inside. If it is, then it's not sealed (not waterproof!!).

Since I camp in very humid areas, I've got to watch out for condensation on the inside. If it builds up during heavy rain, the rain hitting the outside of the tarp can cause the inside to drip and look like the rain is coming through. I've had this happen with my Clark tarp because I have to put it so close to my hammock. Never had it happen with the huge Gear Guide because I'm able to put it higher and more spread out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123