Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Maine

Needles

Hi from Maine

hi everyone..

My name is Shannon.. go by trail name of Needles.

Found the site thru my hiking partner of last summer (Troll).. I've been lurking around debating switching from the ground to hanging. After many nights waking with a sore back and an approaching season I'm taking Trolls advice and switching...

I live in Maine, but grew up in NYC... I work as a trauma nurse in a busy ER.

Currently I am nursing myself back to health as my job and activities have taken a toll on my right foot - i spontaneously found myself with a stress fracture or whatever! Not one to keep still for long... I'm pulling my hair out!

Anyone with some pointers about gear I'd appreciate it!!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF from a fellow Mainer.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Welcome to HF from a fellow Mainer.

AKA (affectionately) known as Maniacs. And for good reason.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Auburn, nice! I went to undergrad at Bates College across the river. Welcome!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I used to live in "the County". Way up there with the potato farmers. In fact I used to glean potatoes after the harvesters went through the fields.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Needles
    Thanks for the welcome!!!

Anyone wish to comment about my proposed gear list?

Going to get a WBBB.. i'm a peanut - 130lbs so questioning if I need the double layer

Currently have from my ground set up...
    A big agnes 15* synthetic petite bag and primaloft inflateable pad... Also have a closed cell foam pad to use/try out.
    40* Lafuma down bag. Both bags have cinch down hoods.. Generally a warm-ish sleeper

I still dont know about UQ, pad vs no pad etc..

I have to get closer to a UL set up due the foot thing.. doc wants me to lighten my load!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Black Bird is a fantastic hammock - at your weight a single layer would be fine. Double layer is ideal, though, if you plan to (or think you might) use a pad. Slip the pad between layers and it stays in place - having a pad in the hammock with you can be a wrestling match.

An underquilt is ideal for comfort, but a pad will do the job just fine for most folks. I used pads for most of my hammock camping "career". I've just recently upgraded to underquilts myself.

Those sleeping bags will do just fine. In fact, the Big Agnes (asuming it's the normal style, with no bottom) is great for hammocking. You don't want to be trying to squirm your way into a zipped bag in a hammock - it's better to use sleeping bags as top quilts.

Looks like you're well on your way.

Also, you'll need a tarp. There are some great vendors here on the site - and I believe you can get a discount from Warbonnet if you get both hammock and tarp at the same time there. ---Not to disparage you from other tarp vendors, of course.

Oh, and yes. We are properly called "Mainiacs". (That's not half bad, compared to the more common term here for Massachusattians... I'll not spell that one out here though).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images

Greetings from Waterville, ME

Shannon,

Welcome to the forum. Give a holler if you need any local advice on UL gear - I'm making the same transition myself, though more oriented towards cycletouring & backcountry skiing rather than backpacking.

You also live nearby the great Fabric Warehouse in Auburn, the source of most of my fabric and fasteners.

Doug

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Black Bird is a fantastic hammock - at your weight a single layer would be fine. Double layer is ideal, though, if you plan to (or think you might) use a pad. Slip the pad between layers and it stays in place - having a pad in the hammock with you can be a wrestling match.

An underquilt is ideal for comfort, but a pad will do the job just fine for most folks. I used pads for most of my hammock camping "career". I've just recently upgraded to underquilts myself.

Those sleeping bags will do just fine. In fact, the Big Agnes (asuming it's the normal style, with no bottom) is great for hammocking. You don't want to be trying to squirm your way into a zipped bag in a hammock - it's better to use sleeping bags as top quilts.

Looks like you're well on your way.

Also, you'll need a tarp. There are some great vendors here on the site - and I believe you can get a discount from Warbonnet if you get both hammock and tarp at the same time there. ---Not to disparage you from other tarp vendors, of course.

Oh, and yes. We are properly called "Mainiacs". (That's not half bad, compared to the more common term here for Massachusattians... I'll not spell that one out here though).
    welcome to the forum and +1 on all of the above
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Needles
    Could I use the single layer warbonnet with my agnes bag and its pad in its sleeve? I don't love the weight of the Agnes bags but like that they make womens petites and love the sleeve system... Would make it much easier/cheaper when I hike with my significant and g2g...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast