Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Already got a Spinn OES tarp. Probably a Circuit to augment my Catalyst for warmer, shorter hikes. Looking hard at whoopie slings. I have yet so make my JRB Stealth "clone", I'm determined to have a No-Sniveler type topquilt with one inch baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    How did I know this post was comin'! Nice to see you, buddy!

you knew it was coming because you secretly want a tent. You use me to get info on the latest tents/bug net tents and small tarps

PM sent lazyboy
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    you knew it was coming because you secretly want a tent. You use me to get info on the latest tents/bug net tents and small tarps

PM sent lazyboy
    I just bought a Kifaru tarp shelter, got a wood burning heater for it on the way.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

I start heavy

I start out VERY heavy while I'm fresh, and reduce weight 12 oz at a time.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm swapping the Mariposa Plus for the Murmur to save ~15 oz.

And the winter underquilt for either a lighter one or swapping the underquilt+BB for my DIY version so I lose the weight of the UQ suspension and a layer of ripstop. That's probably over a pound.

And the MWUQ4 top quilt for something lighter. Might still need the NS for summer out here in CO...sometimes I could get away with the Stealth at 15 oz. That's a healthy savings as well.

And the large winter tarp for a smaller one...haven't decided which one yet. That should save several more ounces.

So my summer base weight is around 8 lbs.
    A bit dated: http://www.tothewoods.net/GearList.html

I've also been considering working on my firecraft this summer, so I might end up leaving my stove behind altogether and just carrying a Walmart Grease Pot or something. That should free up 15 oz of the JetBoil. If I can't start a fire then I won't eat a warm meal...there's some incentive in there somewhere...

Hrm...maybe I'll do some recomputating over the weekend and come up with a firm plan.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I start out VERY heavy while I'm fresh, and reduce weight 12 oz at a time.
    30 x 12oz. = a fun weekend

Doesn't leave much room for gear.

Whoopies from the dynaglide group buy are amazing, strong light and sooo thin. I actually upgraded to some longer ones because they are much less bulky. Down uq, beercan cookpot, little bushbuddy-look-a-like, beercan alky stoves, etc. I been downsizing every little pice since joining hf. I've learned so much. Now I struggle about what to bring or pack and anxiety is a killer

My next quest is a good light down topquilt. I can't fit the sleeping bag in my pack, to big and bulky. (anybody got one I can test...for say 6-8 months)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are a few things that I plan to drop or change out to new options but the major change this year is my packs, I want to do at least one night out of my Golite Ion just to see if I can. But otherwise I will probably be going kind of in a different direction, I think I am going to try out the Dixon Roller Pack as my main pack this year. I know that in terms of lightening the load it seem like the wrong direction, but after using it some the weight Felt is far less than any other way so I want to see what I can do with it. I am looking for some lighter ideas for the pack bag and think that will help some as well. I just like the idea of not having to figure out if taking my rod and reel are worth the extra 10 oz or not, and not being so concerned that the frozen steaks are going to slow me down. But other than that, I am going to do up a small tarp, a new quilt set to test out, changing up stoves, going to go back to the pocket rocket and a new TI cup, try some more freezer bag meals, maybe do a trip with the an alcohol stove and beer can pot, lots of "testing" this year. Going to try and do a lot of short trips and maybe squeeze in a longer one also.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Well, I've ordered a crowsnest and a sorta custom burrow from stormcrow. The crowsnest, particularly, will save me 8 ounces over my beat up diy primaloft underquilt.

I'll switch back to my MacCat Deluxe from my JRB 10 x 11 tarp. But I think I'll keep using my Grizz Beak since it is so darn useful. Saving me 11 ounces.

I'm also working on finding lighter weight clothes to hike in and I'm considering some different bag ideas for my Molly Mac Pack. Not sure how much I'll save there.

And I'm seriously thinking of trips this summer where bear cans are NOT required rather than being lazy and always taking the can, even when not required. That'll save me 2 pounds and an awkward lumpy object.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Made a hammock at 8.5 ounces, think I can cut another half ounce off it. That drops 3.8 ounces from that.

5.7 for the bug net in summer, that lowers my summer bug season weight 5.5 ounces from what it was.

War Bonnet SpinUL Edge tarp at 9.0 with the strings and stuff sack. That drops my weight another 2.1 ounces.

Suspension system has a couple of minor tweaks from 4 ounces down to 1.9 ounces saving me 1.1 ounce.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like a lot of good deals headed to the "for sale" area. Make it cheap you'r gettin' the better stuff!
    Last edited by exdiver; 03-19-2010 at 19:03. Reason: spellin what else
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast