Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    re cuben H, It lays just like any other H, no dif. that I can detect. If you make one longer you can lay flatter. Manipulate it like any gatherd H. Now a cuben bridge-----we shall see, I have been lazy for a while, gnome

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Yea slowbro, cuben is my last tweaking i need to do at this point, unless people come up with new ways to do things and better ideas. Im holding out though, its so expensive, gonna buy a yard off zpacks website to replace my 2l platy, but holding out until it gets chaper to make a tarp. Just too expensive right now.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I took up running over the winter and traded out my gut for a new one, 25# savings. I am hoping to get a new model by fall to save about 20# more.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I do wonder if there is a law of diminishing returns with going light. Can you really say that you were able to cover .0137 more miles per day because you swapped your full sized Bic lighter for a micro? Did you shave three minutes off of your hiking time when you cut the end of the toothbrush?
    The hikers that go to ground to save weight are what I really wonder about. When I sleep on the ground with a pad, I tend to keep having to rotate from one pressure spot to another. When I get up, I've got sore shoulders, hips etc. Sleeping in a hammock, I wake up at sunrise fully rested. No where do I capture the most efficiency, a light load or better rest? Ray Jardine makes the same argument for fresh food over processed food.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I have used a gathered end cuben H for several years, works just like any other H. I have never had condensation probs. but then I don't sweat much! I just tie an overhand knot in each end and hang from that. I do use a a structural ridgeline too. it requires no hemming or sewing of any kind, dead simple for us DIY'ers. gnome
    I have wondered whether I need to reinforce the edges of a cuben tarp at all, not even hemming them. What do you suggest? Would it be the same for straight edges and cat cuts?

I am planning to save weight by changing from a tent setup to hanging. I am designing a cuben/down setup that should be less that 3.5 lbs. That weight includes 11x9 tarp, hammock, top quilt, bottom quilt and suspension. I am trying to get the hammock dialed in.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I do wonder if there is a law of diminishing returns with going light. Can you really say that you were able to cover .0137 more miles per day because you swapped your full sized Bic lighter for a micro? Did you shave three minutes off of your hiking time when you cut the end of the toothbrush?
    The hikers that go to ground to save weight are what I really wonder about. When I sleep on the ground with a pad, I tend to keep having to rotate from one pressure spot to another. When I get up, I've got sore shoulders, hips etc. Sleeping in a hammock, I wake up at sunrise fully rested. No where do I capture the most efficiency, a light load or better rest? Ray Jardine makes the same argument for fresh food over processed food.
    I too have wondered about diminishing returns. About 5 years ago, when the pain overcame the fun of backpacking for me, I moved to ultralight in hopes that the fun would return. It did! It meant I went from a 40lb base weight to a 8lb base weight. To get there I had to really rethink my philosophy of camping and gear.

I also found I had to become obsessed with "gram counting", for want of a better term. If I said, "Well, this 5 oz pack cover is light enough," when I could get or make one that weighted 3 oz. then I was 2 oz heavier than I could have been. That is not bad for that one item, but when you do the same for stuff sacks, and sun screen, and cook pot, and stove, and knife, and water bottle, and accessory cord, and.etc, etc... It quickly adds up to pounds. So it becomes a game of how light can I go. (Game sounds more healthy than obsession, don't you think?) And I played the game as hard as finances would allow for several years.

Oh, but then I discovered hammocks. This was terrible. They generally weight a little MORE than the ultralight tents I was using. I struggled with this and my ultralight ethic and I am glad to say comfort won out.

That is not to say I don't count grams anymore. I do. But I have become more comfortable with the idea of a very little extra weight for a ten fold increase in comfort and a good nights sleep. My base weight has crept up as a result, but seems to be hovering around a reasonable (for me)- 10 lb.
    Last edited by SlowBro; 03-21-2010 at 16:39.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    My summer base weight is around 12 pounds or so before I take on food and water. A few years ago, it would have been closer to 40. That has let my mileage creep up from 6-10 miles a day to 18-24 miles a day without an increase in fatigue or effort. Still, I've found good food and good sleep gives me more benefit than less weight alone. That means I'll take the hammock, a few ounces more of insulation and leave the freeze-dried food in the bomb/ y2k shelter. If a pet rock lifted my spirits, I'd bring it along as well.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Ditch any paranoid gear!!

Over the last couple of years, I've gone lighter because I've learned to give up alot of the "what if this happens or that?" gear.

You don't need 5 Bic lighters, a full size Rambo knife, a 3 pd. medical kit, a 10' X 12' HD plastic tarp, 100' of paracord, a 3 pk. of emergency roadside flares, etc.,etc.,etc.!
    I am ashamed to say that's what I had in my "survival pack". Then I had my camping gear!!

Point is, see what others bring for emergency situations and the most important thing I've learned, is don't panic, and think about what you'd need to do. Knowledge is lighter than gear!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    The most important thing I've learned in the last year is about how I've packed and prepared based on fears not on needs. While I still need a lot of work on reducing the grams, I'm enjoying the journey.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast