Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Good luck out there.... You'll be fine ... no worries!
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    These are all hypotheticals. I can give you a few real life experiences..................... Once they spotted me they approached and fanned out, yelling at me that they were going to kill me. I assume they were doing something illegal when I walked up, though I never saw what. At any rate, I was armed (legally). I didn't want to drop my pack and run as I was miles from my car with no trail. After a few verbal warnings, I drew and made it clear that I intended to defend myself. They decided they had better things to do and I was able to safely make it back to my car. Moral of the story: had a gun, had to draw it, and it probably saved my life.

You're very unlikely to need a gun to defend yourself against wildlife. They are usually scared off easily. People, on the other hand, are sometimes very dangerous and unpredictable.
    There you have it. All very unlikely, but even with numbers as small as those who post here, stuff can happen. I think this makes my point from earlier: the chance of needing a fire arm or pepper spray or any weapon is remote. But it sure would suck to join the numbers of those that need a weapon and don't have one. Your only option there(had you been with out a weapon) was to make a run for it, and who knows how that would have worked out.

Images
    From "Nervous Night": thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    More than likely haints or goblins. Rutting.
    Good story ...... gave me a morning chill. One thing I like about solo camping on nights when odd and scary sounds threaten my good hammock slumber is the manhood check. I only have a knife but I am starting to carry a small air-horn like Wandern'fool .... scared the intruding coyotes off.
    Haven't yet buyt will in the Spring when the hungry bears, haints and goblins are out in force.
    Shug
    You know, we mostly poo poo the odds of animal attack, from bears/lions much less coyotes. And I am as bad as any one here to NOT carry. Either on purpose because I can't justify the weight or most likely I just plain forget to get the pistol. But speaking of coyotes, even they can be a danger, as rare as it is, and not even considering rabies. Don't forget that a solo female day hiker was recently killed in Canada, not by bears, but by Coyotes. I have no doubt that, at that horrible moment, she would have given most any thing for a weapon. But, the odds were surely vastly against her having any threat what so ever, astronomically so against death by Coyote. As they are against winning the lottery. Still, people do win the lottery on occasion.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-20-2010 at 21:56.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foolhardy View Post
    I always ...have a pistol ...unless I'm in a national forest where it's not allowed.
    It is allowed in Natl Forests, if it is allowed in that state. After Feb 22, the same became true in National Parks as well.

BillyBob, you have puzzled me before with your posts on this topic, but I have come to understand what you are saying. It's not about the odds, although that is how some tend to think about firearms. We don't rationalize leaving the first aid kit at home because it's use is unlikely.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    If you go into the woods with fear you will find fear. Same with paranoia-which is really fear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    To liven up the mix, a quote from firearms instructor and author John Ross on the definition of paranoia:

"My definition of the difference between preparation and paranoia is the degree of disruption of your life in comparison to the likelihood of the threat.

Case in point: Seat belts. People with a million miles of experience that have never needed a seat belt still wear them every time they get in the car because they only take one second to put on. Why not have the protection if the inconvenience is only two seconds per trip?

Conversely, if you were to don a helmet, firesuit, and Nomex gloves EVERY time you drove somewhere, and you drove the same places I do, I would call that paranoid. If you drive in Formula One races, I'd call it the only sensible thing to do. "

Full article at http://www.john-ross.net/prep.php

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It is allowed in Natl Forests, if it is allowed in that state. After Feb 22, the same became true in National Parks as well.

BillyBob, you have puzzled me before with your posts on this topic, but I have come to understand what you are saying. It's not about the odds, although that is how some tend to think about firearms. We don't rationalize leaving the first aid kit at home because it's use is unlikely.
    Thank you MacEntyre, very well said and finally a better explanation for my way of looking at it than I have been able to give myself! Really, it's not about the odds, not if some day it is you or your defenseless loved one. And excellent point there: in 30 plus years of back country expeditions, I personally have not needed the 1st aide kit, yet. (though a friend has once or twice) Am I paranoid to carry 1st aid?

I really do not expect any trouble with man nor beast when in the woods. Face it, in all of these years I have never even seen a bear, much less been threatened by one. And once I was 30 continuous days in the northern Rockies without coming out of the woods. Realistically,my biggest threat was near death from body odor. But I really can't imagine any thing worse than being that mother at the swimming hole in TN, defenseless when that one in a million black bear decides to come in for dinner. Can you imagine? You just won the wrong kind of lottery, and there is nothing you can do to help you or your children except hope some one else shows up with a gun.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...once I was 30 continuous days in the northern Rockies without coming out of the woods.
    Ran out of breadcrumbs?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Ran out of breadcrumbs?
    Had to eat them all! I lost 22 lbs in 30 days( 194 down to 172), even with 3000 calories per day rationed. Com to think about it, I need to do that trip again, for that same result!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...22 lbs in 30 days...
    What a great way to lose weight! I've gained 1 lb per year for 30 years, and now I want to lose about 20 of them. HOI lost 50 lbs on the AT...
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast