Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    This is a topic that I am sorta torn on. I am a better safe than sorry guy, & I would rather have the spray/pistol & not need it, than need it & not have it. After Meredith Emerson went missing, I was leaning towards a pistola, buit didnt want to invest in one in the heat of the moment. After a couple months have passed, I am leaning towards getting a good bear spray. I am not so much worried about crossing bears on the trail, that has happened to me once. I am however, paranoid of waking up to one in the camp. So I figure I will sew a pocket into my rig that will hold the spray, for easy access when I rack out.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    I think people are a bigger threat on the trail than bears are. That's probably what drives most of the handgun carry. There are also hunters who purposely hunt with pistols and apparently bring down game that I would not have expected. "Shooter's preference" so to speak.
    Whether a pistol will do any good depends on how much you practice with the pistol, how cool you can remain under very stressful conditions and what kind of bear you are dealing with.

If a Grizzly, a pistol will do you about as much good as a water pistol. I have read first person accounts of Grizzly attacks. In one, the guy was carrying a 44 magnum and knew very well how to use it. His partner was attacked, he put at least 4 or five shots into the bear and the only thing he accomplished was to make the Grizzly madder. Rangers later took down the bear with high powered rifles at a very safe distance. They found 5 44 magnum bullets in the bear. He apparently suffered no ill effects from the pistol bullets. Wikipedia states that the 44 magnum is
    suitable for game up to the size of black bear.
    Maybe the water pistol filled with bear repellent would have been better

Black bears are something else and not as aggressive.

To place my opinion in context, there are no grizzlies in OR to my knowledge. I'm more concerned with people or even mountain lions. After a few years in the Army I'd imagine I'm fairly capable of retaining my calm and executing my training. YMMV. I've said before and will say again that I will never encourage someone on the fence to carry a firearm. It's a lot of commitment and work for extremely limited utility. There is a use not filled by chemical restraints for some though.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To place my opinion in context, there are no grizzlies in OR to my knowledge. I'm more concerned with people or even mountain lions. After a few years in the Army I'd imagine I'm fairly capable of retaining my calm and executing my training. YMMV. I've said before and will say again that I will never encourage someone on the fence to carry a firearm. It's a lot of commitment and work for extremely limited utility. There is a use not filled by chemical restraints for some though.
    red devil - I should have said that my reply wasn't aimed directly at you, but more to the forums community. It seems I see this topic coming up on many forums under different titles and just thought I would throw my $0.02 worth in.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that and no offense meant.

Sure, none taken. I sincerely hope nobody has to use spray or anything else. Safe hiking.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Sure, none taken. I sincerely hope nobody has to use spray or anything else. Safe hiking.
    Amen to that!

I agree with what some prior posters mentioned too. Grizzly Bears are all together different and in that case shotgun slugs or large caliber rifles are really the only effective firearms. If you aren't packing that along with you then bear spray is a better option than any handgun you are going to want to carry. I'm not evangelizing either in bringing it up. It's a strictly personal thing and like all tools and gear choices it involves trade-offs but I really think handguns are of limited usefulness in dealing with large North American predators as they are intended to deal with dangerous human beings.

Take bear spray if bears and pack weight are your concerns.
    Last edited by photomankc; 03-18-2008 at 17:31.

Images
    What about a taser gun? I saw one on an infomercial - it shoots out several yards like the ones the cops use. I wonder if it would give a griz the jiggles.

Can't buy it my state though.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    What about a taser gun? I saw one on an infomercial - it shoots out several yards like the ones the cops use. I wonder if it would give a griz the jiggles.

Can't buy it my state though.
    I've either heard or read that all their fur is a definite problem with using tasers.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Preacher--

I am a ranger and have seen hundreds of bears and 'encountered!' about a dozen.

The basic rule is STAND YOUR GROUND in virtually every encounter.... except a charging female grizz with cubs.

HOWEVER if you left your food out with a habituated aggressive bear ... it may now be the bear's food....no longer yours....behave accordingly....common sense rules.

The best thing is to know what the heck you are doing ... forget all the bear scare books. GET 'Backcountry Bear Basics'

Bears, like dogs and other animals, evolved behaviors and communication techniques ... you do not know what they are and why ... some are humanly counter intuitive but make perfect sense in the context of bear world.

Yelling and banging pans usually work BUT

silent simple non aggressive BEAR TALK has always IMMEDIATELY worked in close encounters with the aggressive confident bears I've met.. it's in the book.... cure bearanoia ... get the book .. interesting, useful and fun read.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-19-2008 at 01:30.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    ... forget all the bear scare books. GET 'Backcountry Bear Basics'... get the book .. interesting, useful and fun read.
    I found several copies on Amazon for $0.27 + shipping, so I splurged and bought a copy.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast