Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The thing to do is unload lots of whatever you have into the bear's face... any caliber will do. They won't like it, and will back off.

I have a special 45 acp bear load: 250 grain bullet and 6.0 grains of Unique.
    Yeah...your idea is a lot better than mine. I was thinking daylight more than after dark. Back spray not good...

When I was staying in Alberta, Canada there was a news story of a guy mountain biking who came around a bend and crashed into a bear with her cubs. She chewed his face off and he played dead. He survived to tell the tale. Not sure I could do that...but who knows when it is the alternative to death!

This video is an info video by a ranger in Glacier NP. Good info to have. Course I am living back in England now and the only things in comparison are the 'ladies' on a Friday night...

http://www.joyofcamping.com/camping-...y/bear-attack/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Mondo View Post
    When I was staying in Alberta, Canada there was a news story of a guy mountain biking who came around a bend and crashed into a bear with her cubs. She chewed his face off and he played dead. He survived to tell the tale. Not sure I could do that...but who knows when it is the alternative to death!

This video is an info video by a ranger in Glacier NP. Good info to have. Course I am living back in England now and the only things in comparison are the 'ladies' on a Friday night...

http://www.joyofcamping.com/camping-...y/bear-attack/

Hammock
    TrekLight Double
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings

How you react depends on the threat

Cannibal and I watched a show on animal planet the other night 'Human Prey" and it went thorugh several differant scenarios of bear attacks and how to react.

Here is what the experts from this show had to say:

If the bear is feeling that her cubs are in danger or threatened then playing dead is the best. Once they feel the threat is no longer they will walk away.

Now, if a bear is attacking you for you to be his dinner, then you fight!! Stick your arm down it's throat, dig into his eyes or nostrals, do whatever you can and fight. You can't out run a Bear so the best defense you have is a weapon (firearm, bear spray, knife) and a good fight. But this isn't always a guarantee that you will win.
    If you carry bear spray, be sure you know how to use it. There have been attacks when the person being attacked could not operate the bear spray, which was useless at that point.

Obviously, if a bear wonders into your camp for your food bag, let him have it! It's not worth the fight.

My advise, research bear attacks on line as much as you can. Arming yourself with as much knowledge is the best course of action!

Did anyone else see that show? WOW!

My thoughts anyway!

Happy Hiking!
    Genuine Draft
    Mess with me, and my boyfriend will eat you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My girl is the greatest ain't she?
    Trust nobody!

In our area, we see bears all the time. Not Grizzly's mind you, but the smaller black bears. They generally aren't much of a threat unless their cubs are nearby. They sometimes let you know you aren't welcome, but nothing too scary. I think they're cute, not scary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324