Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

considering lightening my system..need help

I have an overstuffed PeaPod that I love but wonder if its overkill. As I get older Im looking for lighter alternatives. Ive been looking at 3/4 or 2/3 underquilts. Already have a Speers top quilt. Ive done alot of studying on it but just cant peg it without experience. Im hoping some here could advise me whether I could go with a lighter system and stay reasonably warm. Im a semi cold sleeper. I rarely camp under 30* weather anymore so maybe I could do away with the PeaPod? what do ya'll think? thanx

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    personally, I think the PP is too heavy IF you also take a TQ...but
    with that being said, the speer TQ is cut very narrow and while that works with your PP, if you're using a narrow cut 2/3 UQ also, you may run into coverage issues...
    Food For Thought
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I use the summer Yeti (3/4) as my sole underquilt and have had it below 30. It gets uncomfortable at about 20 unless you put some thought into it. I am a warm sleeper.

When I'm not too worried about weight I carry a piece of cut-down wal-mart foam to put under my legs. I've found that putting my pack under my legs works just as well for warmth and increased the comfort of the hammock tremendously. I had real problems with my back hurting and my legs cramping during the night using just the foam. having a pack to put under my knees has improved my comfort 100%. The only drawbacks are that you drag dirt/poison ivy from your pack into your sleeping area and also that with my pack in I can't really roll to my side. I found that I roll to my side a lot with a pad (still not very comfortable), but that I am comfortable staying on my back all night with the pack, so it all works out. While on my side I had a lot of problems with the hammock material being in my face and getting condensation on my quilts, but using the pack and sleeping on my back has made those problems go away as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I like my Mt. Washington 3 Convertible from Jacks-R-Better. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm (scroll down).It's rated to 15F-20F when the entire quilt is used or, the short part can be used alone, in the summer, to save weight and bulk.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can certainly get lighter than the PeaPod for 30F...a summer Yeti and No Sniveler or similar TQ will do it. PeaPods are very comfortable and offer great protection, though...there's less adjustment/fiddle factor with a PeaPod b/c it encapsulates the body. If you're willing to trade that while you dial in your UQ system, you can cut several ounces and quite a bit of bulk. Don't forget some sort of foot insulation if you use a 2/3 UQ, as mentioned above.

I still use the PeaPod occasionally. It's a great system. Always put Joker (10 y/o) in it in the winter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you are rarely below 30 degrees, then the PeaPod is probably too much... Personally, I use a Speer SnugFit as my main UQ. It and the Speer TQ have kept me toasty down to 8 degrees. For anything else, I'll break out the MW4 for the UQ...

Randy

• + New Posts