Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

photos hammock tent

I couln't fnd my thread sorry. Here are the photos I took today of the first pitch of the hammock tent.

that was my first attempt to get into it.

ok I'm in but the head and foot of the hammock are reversed and the tent is too far down from the hammock and will need another 3 foot extension from the left where they will meet with velcro, where I will get in and out.

the wind is coming from the left here. You can see the triangle of mosquito net at the end partially blocked by blowing tent. Note the looped spectra climbing slings making the taut hammock ridge line and the tent ridge line above.

this shows how the suspension passes through a grommet in the bottom of the tent, a stick to keep the vent open and the suspension, which is taught and has a minimum 3,000 lb test everywhere. I can pull on the ridge line inside to slide up the hammock.

shows hammock and suspension alone.
    Jim S

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Interesting concept/design.
    Entry can be via a zipper installed midway.
    Where do stand when you have to get out and its raining?
    Can't see the grizzlies approach.
    Probably gonna need some more ventilation??
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Here's what I think will happen: moisture will condense on the inside of your tent, run down the sides, and make you and your hammock wet. Try to rig it so the tent is not touching the sides/bottom of your hammock, provide some drains, and as G said, ventilate.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It's an interesting idea, I think that G and OG are right that there are still some things to trial and error with it but it is an interesting approach. I would like to hear how it goes for you Jim. Never know at first the constrictor idea was brought to us from a new member that was experimenting with things that were new to most of us. Heck this time last year I was trying to exspiriment with climbing gear and tecniques to bring hanging into a world/system that I understood, some things worked some did not. I say try it out and share what you learn with us Jim, good, bad, and everything in between.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Interesting concept/design.
    Entry can be via a zipper installed midway.
    Where do stand when you have to get out and its raining?
    Can't see the grizzlies approach.
    Probably gonna need some more ventilation??
    Well getting out is no different than getting out of a tent, you ummm just get out. as far as ventilation goes, this is a tent that I have used in the Sierras with no condensation problems. This isn't a new tent concept, its a tested one. the only new part is hanging it around a hammock.

I live on the desert side of the cascades, this may not work for every one everywhere, but then what does? I can see a window or something in the end piece for extra air, or even just leaving it open if there isn't a bug problem.

However I despise tarps, especially big heavy tarps with lots or cords. The only reason I am interested in a hammock at all is the lava rock referred to as "the ground" is not possible to sleep on. This is a tested tent, if I find a tent space I will sleep on the ground. This whole project is an attempt to have both a hammock and a tent and a tent hammock that is pretty rain resstant and bug proof and avoiding tarps and tie out cords.

BTW the window is about 20 inches wide and 16 inches high and the whole end is window if that isn't shown clearly by the photo..
    Jim S
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-19-2010 at 21:25. Reason: window note

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Okay I see the end is all mesh. I'm not disrespecting your ideas I actually love the brainstorming new stuff. Please don't take it that way.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Keep at it Jim. This has potential - and it will be fun working out all the kinks. Innovation happens best when you just do it and go from there with solutions to found problems.

You're thinking outside the box... or, really, more inside the box. Keep us updated with how it goes.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - and keep up the pics as you make mods. Just make sure you always have enough ventilation in there so you're not pulling plastic bag over your head! They'll have to start putting warnings on bolts of silnylon!

Definitely keep posting your results...hope you find the solution you're looking for.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I like that 1st Pic... got video of that...

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Thank you guys for your interest. I am nt offended by any honest opinions, I wanted them.
    I guess this is a tent made from a tarp and as such it is a tarp over a hammock with mosquito net ends, that is closed at the bottom rather than open and staked out and the big things are that its bug proof and that it can be pitched as a tent, but then so can a tarp. I would like it more if it was strong enough to tie out the 4 corners and make a "tent in the air".
    So anyway have to work on all of this and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for putting up with an old engineer. I know there are a lot of good points for tieing the tapr over the tent in the normal way only thats not bug proof and I live in Oregon. I also realise that the more normal method creates a nice protected space under the tent. Back to the drawing board as they say...
    Jim S

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast