Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Question Nervous night in Edneyville, NC

Well, last night was another interesting night on my deck. I live here in WNC in the apple country of Edneyville, halfway between Hendersonville and Bat Cave/Lake Lure.
    I was awoken at around 2:30am this morning to a sound I hadn't heard at night for quite a few years, a baby crying!???(I have two daughters). After I shook the sleep away, I realized the sound was coming from about 50 yards away, as best I could tell at night. It sounded like a baby crying with all it's might!! My hair stood on end and I found myself unable to move. I remember people saying that mountain lions & couger sound like that.
    I've hiked the trails up in back of my house and have seen large paw prints the size of my fist, and have heard people say they've seen big cats in this area.
    The "crying" kept up for about 20 minutes and I heard it moving around in the woods, I layed there thinking," That two foot high gate at the end is not going to keep that thing from coming on this deck if it so desires!"
    I layed there and just listened to it for what seemed like hours and, like the severe wind episode I rode out last month, I realized I could lay here in fear or set my mind to enjoying this rare experience. After it stopped, I listened for a while longer and sleep returned until 5:00am when I got up.
    I've had possum and racoons scurry around on the deck before and it's been pretty interesting, but I sure don't want whatever made that sound on it!!!
    All in all though, I gotta say it was pretty cool now that it's over!!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I keep a couple of different 'wounded prey' calls handy for situations like that... if you can get the animal to come closer, you might get a picture. I have a little wooden squeaker bird-in-distress, a squeeze bulb mouse and a squeezer squirrel.

...'course, it helps if you are not cowering in fear!

BTW, the sound you heard may have been a real animal in distress. The predator might have been silent. Coulda been momma calling the babies, too.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have a couple of suggestions:

Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Bob cats also make a sound like that.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Baby rabbits make that sound as well. Sounds just like a baby crying---very loud and eerie sounding. Something may have caught it or was chasing one. I've heard them several times when a cat catches one at night. It'll really give you the "willies" if you don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Well, last night was another interesting night on my deck. I live here in WNC in the apple country of Edneyville, halfway between Hendersonville and Bat Cave/Lake Lure.
    I was awoken at around 2:30am this morning to a sound I hadn't heard at night for quite a few years, a baby crying!???(I have two daughters). After I shook the sleep away, I realized the sound was coming from about 50 yards away, as best I could tell at night. It sounded like a baby crying with all it's might!! My hair stood on end and I found myself unable to move. I remember people saying that mountain lions & couger sound like that.
    I've hiked the trails up in back of my house and have seen large paw prints the size of my fist, and have heard people say they've seen big cats in this area.
    The "crying" kept up for about 20 minutes and I heard it moving around in the woods, I layed there thinking," That two foot high gate at the end is not going to keep that thing from coming on this deck if it so desires!"
    I layed there and just listened to it for what seemed like hours and, like the severe wind episode I rode out last month, I realized I could lay here in fear or set my mind to enjoying this rare experience. After it stopped, I listened for a while longer and sleep returned until 5:00am when I got up.
    I've had possum and racoons scurry around on the deck before and it's been pretty interesting, but I sure don't want whatever made that sound on it!!!
    All in all though, I gotta say it was pretty cool now that it's over!!
    I've heard sounds I would describe in the same way from a wounded rabbit.

Very distressing to listen.

There is a old timer just north of you towards Black Mountain that claims multiple sightings of big cats, either cougar or mountain lion, over the years. He said he stopped reporting them because people kept accusing him of making it up.

I'm inclined to believe him.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Baby Cry

Even the domestic house cat can and will make these noises when attended by toms. It can be quite loud on a still night.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I know how you feel. Was hiking in NW PA with a buddy and we were just sitting around camp at night when we heard this in the distance. Luckily, he had heard it before and warned me about it. Still gave me goose bumps.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post

Hangin' Burrito,
    It may have been a bobcat, rabbit, house cat, etc.., but I sure wouldn't brush aside it may have been a "big cat"!
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More than likely haints or goblins. Rutting.
    Good story ...... gave me a morning chill. One thing I like about solo camping on nights when odd and scary sounds threaten my good hammock slumber is the manhood check. I only have a knife but I am starting to carry a small air-horn like Wandern'fool .... scared the intruding coyotes off.
    Haven't yet buyt will in the Spring when the hungry bears, haints and goblins are out in force.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast