Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    The Whoopie Sling works great for the ridge line.

You don't really need adjustable loops on both ends though. A fixed eye splice on one end and the adjustable eye on the other end works fine.

Also, only make the adjustable eye large enough to accommodate the longest and shortest ridge line you will need. The one you will probably use 99% of the time will probably be somewhere near the middle.
    thanks TeeDee for your reply.i guess i did not explain this good enough.this ridgeline is not adjusted by a whoopie.the whoopies are for tree to tree adjustments.the ridgeline length is adjusted by loosening the knots holding the rings.the differance between this and normal two whoopie suspensions is,the buries for the whoopies are inside the ridge line length for this system.the other one,the one most people use,has the whoopie buries in addition to the ridge length.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    thanks TeeDee for your reply.i guess i did not explain this good enough.this ridgeline is not adjusted by a whoopie.the whoopies are for tree to tree adjustments.the ridgeline length is adjusted by loosening the knots holding the rings.the differance between this and normal two whoopie suspensions is,the buries for the whoopies are inside the ridge line length for this system.the other one,the one most people use,has the whoopie buries in addition to the ridge length.
    Okay. What I use is somewhat different and in 3 parts.

Whoopie Slings (WS) on each end and another Whoopie Sling in the middle for the ridge line:

WS >> WS ridge line >> WS

The WS ridge line is 1.75 mm Lash-It or Zing-It. That saves some weight over using the same 1/8" or 7/64" AS-78 that I use for the end WSs.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Interesting idea...

I think your trading off about 18" in length for the additional weight of roughly 14 more feet of line.

The 18" comes from both buries not being in the adjustment range and the 14' I figure because normally 2, 6' slings use 26' of line.

But everything is a trade off... If this is more simpler for you, then the weight addition must be put into perspective.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    I love the idea that your buries are inside the total length so that your minimum total rig is basically your ridge line length plus an inch or two to get it over the toggle, in my case that would mean that my minimum distance was something like 103 inches or under 9 feet (wow).

So how are you connecting the descender rings? I guess I am asking for real pictures here, not just diagrams (although the diagram is kewl, it just doesn't give us the close up detail). I was thinking in the single UCR thread about how to accomplish this without tying a knot and weakening the line. I can envision some splicing a loop in the middle of a line, kind of like what we do for prusik loops but it seems like the bury exit would be pretty stressed at that point. You could tie a prusik and it should be fairly stable, but it could move pretty easily too. So, just wondering what would be best here?

I really like the idea for my DIY but it won't work for my WBBB, still need to work on a single line solution for that.
    thanks phatp for your interest.i do not know if what i tie is the best knot for here.some on this forum use a clove hitch to fasten the rings in place.i do not know how to tie it.i do not know what the knot i use is called either.this is a differant ring then i use on my hammock.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    1.pull loop through ring
    2.lift loop over ring(pt 1A),to the back then through ring again.do this twice
    3.grab ring at point 3A and pull it through loop.pull loop behind and over ring
    4.grab cord on each side and tighten
    5.the knot will pull together into one after weight is on it.
    it turns out kind of like a prussik.

it pulls apart relatively easy enough when i adjusted the ridge.must remove tension from line first.
    if you use this knot you can not allready have fastened your chainlink to the ring.unless you biuld it in place.i toggle my hammock to the suspension after the suspension is up.
    [IMG][/IMG]

one more view of knott
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Interesting idea...

I think your trading off about 18" in length for the additional weight of roughly 14 more feet of line.

The 18" comes from both buries not being in the adjustment range and the 14' I figure because normally 2, 6' slings use 26' of line.

But everything is a trade off... If this is more simpler for you, then the weight addition must be put into perspective.
    wow mr whoopie said i had an interesting idea.thanks opie.
    how much does 18' 7/64 amsteel weigh?could do it for 13ft more then someone with no ridge.now if you have a ridge out of 7/64 i am only useing about 5 feet more to get the same reach as your whoopies.yea give and take.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    wow mr whoopie said i had an interesting idea.thanks opie.
    how much does 18' 7/64 amsteel weigh?could do it for 13ft more then someone with no ridge.now if you have a ridge out of 7/64 i am only useing about 5 feet more to get the same reach as your whoopies.yea give and take.
    LOL! Im not that important. We all have good ideas...

26' weighs between 1.5 and 1.7 ounces. Ive found that the different colors will have different weights. Must be the dye. That comes out to .06 ounces, giver or take, per foot.

JMO... But having a RL made from 7/64 is way over kill. The 1.75 dyneema labels work just fine.

HOWEVER.... We are only fussing over a matter of ounces... IMO thats not a big deal. Id trade a little weight for simplicity.

Have you hung off your idea yet?

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I like it. Very creative! I enjoy seeing new variations on a theme.
    I might even switch my suspension to this.
    Kudos!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    opie i have been in and out of it messing with it.10 min.not an all nighter.maybe head out tommorrow,for a couple nights.
    the one problem i did have is if the suspension was not pulled tight enough.when i sat in it slack would come into the ridge.releasing tension on the whoopie buries allowing them to slip.making sure everything was good and tight and milking the whoopies took care of that.i will see in the next few nights.i will bring some wire just in case.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    You don't really need adjustable loops on both ends though. A fixed eye splice on one end and the adjustable eye on the other end works fine.
    They let you center the hammock between the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    What have you done so far with the extra line that falls into your hammock?
    This may seem a minor consideration, but lines dangling in your face can be a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    Several, if not a lot of us on here are using whoopie slings for our hammock ridge line.
    Mine is adjustable from 99" to 109". Though you will probably find one length works all of the time, this gives you flexibility should you want to make adjustments without undoing a knot.
    If the line is simply wrapped around the ring several times, the effective ridgeline length can be adjusted by releasing the tension and sliding the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    ... just makes sure the whoopie is pulled tight any time you put your hammock up.
    True, true, true!

thanks big red for your reply.i guess i did not explain this good enough.this ridgeline is not adjusted by a whoopie.the whoopies are for tree to tree adjustments.the ridgeline length is adjusted by loosening the knots holding the rings.the differance between this and normal two whoopie suspensions is,the buries for the whoopies are inside the ridge line length for this system.the other one,the one most people use,has the whoopie buries in addition to the ridge length.
    I get it. I like it.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    my newest suspension idea.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ok, I get the whoopie ridge line over the hammock. I'm having trouble with how you're doing that in a "Clark" hammock
    I'm in the process of making whoopies for my Clark suspension w/amsteel rope. I'm gonna try them out on my Clark tarp too. But I'm still thinking about my Clark ropes/bungee cords that are used to hold up the netting. Would love to see pictures of your set-up because I'm really confused on how that's working out for you.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast