Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long

Bicycling & Hammocking Pacific Coast Hwy

I'm taking a three week bicycling trip this year and have decided to tour either Jasper to Montana or the Pacific Coast Hwy starting in Seattle and heading south to San Francisco. I heard great things about the inexpensive hiker biker sites on the Pacific Coast Hwy. Anybody, know if I would have any problems finding trees to hang at these sites? I'm guessing many are on the coast.

Banned
    Images
    Hey,

I spent a year back in Buffalo. I think you will find things out here a weebit nicer

I live in Eureka, which is about 3/4 of the way on the Seattle/SF trip. If you stayed on U.S. Route 101 the whole way you would encouter a *few* places that you might be w/o trees. Probably a couple of nights in OR would be iffie at best. There might be one or two places along the CA 101 as you get closer to SF that could be iffie as well.

But, for the most part, you would have one of the most beautiful roads in the lower-48 to bike through/on. I've been almost everywhere in the USA and I always end up back here in the middle of the Redwoods. Truly amazing mate.

Anyway, except for a few places where there are rolling hills in OR and CA (central) you should be pretty much good-to-go with a hammock the entire way! For those few places you might not find trees right off the road, at just the time you want to stop... I'm not really sure what to suggest. I don't own a Clark hammock (just bought my first hammock last week) so I'm not sure how well it will work stacking it up on polls or one the ground. I would suspect though, that just about anywhere along this entire trip where you might not have immediant access to trees, you could locate some off the highway a bit. Most folks around along Rout 101 wouldn't give you a second glace if you did. Think up-state NY not NYC atmosphere when it comes to peoples take on people camping out

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You might look into a website called warmshowers.org. As a member you can contact other members all over the world for a place to crash, shower and sleep while bicycle touring. I've hosted a few people and have always had a good time. I have not hosted as of yet. But you might find it helpful for planning purposes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Jasper to Banff has very wide paved shoulders , ,one of the most scenic rides in North America and trees everywhere although i think you might be limited to campsites in the park unless you stealth. Banff to Glacier is another thing and you would need to take a closer look at that as the paved hyway does not go through the mnts (lack of trees ) and there are cross winds. You might think about going from banff to Radium BC and south to Montana . Trees all the way, small road shoulders but less traffic.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Redwood, I may PM you in the future for route advice if I do indeed decide to take this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You might look into a website called warmshowers.org.
    Those websites are a great idea but I tend to be really bad at making plans. I ride all day and often into the night.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    i think you might be limited to campsites in the park unless you stealth. Banff to Glacier is another thing and you would need to take a closer look at that as the paved hyway does not go through the mnts (lack of trees ) .
    Interesting, I thought I would have little to no problems hammocking on this trip! Are the campsites all expensive on this route $20-$25? I like the idea of stealth camping but it rarley occurs do to the fact I like my showers after sitting on the bike all day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    WeTommy; Ok There's a few things to think about. Jasper/banff is a park. Some of the greatest scenery you'll ever see, campgrounds yes, showers??,,hotels yes expensive.
    South of Banff your out of the park. Are you riding a mnt bike or road bike??There a number of hyways ( in Alberta ) that take you south to Glacier, not all paved not all with trees. Rockies/forest meet flatland/prairie. You should start looking at a map of south west alberta to see what i mean, hyway #40 paved, forest, #940 gravel,forest, and #22 paved ranch country. I would check with a bicycle alberta website about kananaskis country and south and get info. I've motorcycled some of it not bicycled. Lots of people do the jasper /banff route, world famous. Mnt bikers do the continental divide route,,lots of dirt. If you check with adventure cycle you can get lots of info about particular routes and youtube these days has lots of footage . Below is one site i looked at i thought you might want to read
    http://www.motorera.com/tandem/banff.htm
    I'll be back over the next couple of days with some other info
    Last edited by mbiraman; 03-23-2010 at 10:23.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    ENO / WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    Cooks / Kelty
    Suspension
    straps
    Good luck on your trip. A friend and I are planning to due the circle tour around Lake Superior in mid August. 3 weeks to complete approximately 1300 miles. So it give me the summer to covert the ground pounder to hammocks. I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say. Now looking for a great deal on Schwalbe Marathon tires.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mn-Fire View Post
    I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say.
    Incredible saddle... BUT!!!!! make sure you put some miles on the bugger to break it in before you get to far from home. Unless they have changed it you are looking at an all leather saddle of the best caliber design and construction. But the sucker is hard as marble floor until you get your rump fitted to its contours. (No it doesn't work the other way around.) But it is a superb saddle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm sure you already know about these websites, but I thought I'd add the links anyway for reference.

Adventure Cycling is THE place for bicycle touring maps. They show everything from campgrounds to stores to post offices(but not trees).

Pacific Coast Bicycle Route

Great Parks Bicycle Route from Jasper, AB to Durango, CO.

Another good resource is Crazy Guy on a Bike. There are thousands of touring journals. You can search for journals that cover the ares you are planning to ride. Most journals have lots of photos and good info on camping opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    WeTommy; Ok There's a few things to think about. Jasper/banff is a park. Some of the greatest scenery you'll ever see, campgrounds yes, showers??,,hotels yes expensive.
    South of Banff your out of the park. Are you riding a mnt bike or road bike??There a number of hyways ( in Alberta ) that take you south to Glacier, not all paved not all with trees. Rockies/forest meet flatland/prairie. You should start looking at a map of south west alberta to see what i mean, hyway #40 paved, forest, #940 gravel,forest, and #22 paved ranch country. I would check with a bicycle alberta website about kananaskis country and south and get info. I've motorcycled some of it not bicycled. Lots of people do the jasper /banff route, world famous. Mnt bikers do the continental divide route,,lots of dirt. If you check with adventure cycle you can get lots of info about particular routes and youtube these days has lots of footage . Below is one site i looked at i thought you might want to read
    http://www.motorera.com/tandem/banff.htm
    I'll be back over the next couple of days with some other info
    This post was a lot of help. I got the map out that Alberta sent me. I'll be riding a road bicycle so paved roads are a must. It looks like Adventure Cycling route follows Route 93 into Whitefish or I can take route 40 to route 22 to route 6 to the Glacier National Park.

The tandem site was a useful site that I have not discovered yet. Thank you. I have rather, slow connection at home but YouTube is a great idea. My problem is with unfamiliarity of routes. I just want the most scenic route available (Of course with a road bike).

Quote Originally Posted by mn-Fire View Post
    Good luck on your trip. A friend and I are planning to due the circle tour around Lake Superior in mid August. 3 weeks to complete approximately 1300 miles. So it give me the summer to covert the ground pounder to hammocks. I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say. Now looking for a great deal on Schwalbe Marathon tires.

Good to hear from a fellow biker who is also a hammocker.

Quote Originally Posted by _Tinker_ View Post
    I'm sure you already know about these websites, but I thought I'd add the links anyway for reference.

Adventure Cycling is THE place for bicycle touring maps. They show everything from campgrounds to stores to post offices(but not trees).

Pacific Coast Bicycle Route

Great Parks Bicycle Route from Jasper, AB to Durango, CO.

Another good resource is Crazy Guy on a Bike. There are thousands of touring journals. You can search for journals that cover the ares you are planning to ride. Most journals have lots of photos and good info on camping opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, Checked most of them out. I'm a Adventure Cyclist member but have not orderd the maps. I'm sort of torn between the Pacifc Coast & Alberta

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast