Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

FS: Custom 3/4 Summer UQ

I want to sell my custom ultralight underquilt. This was my first sewing project, and while solid, I learned a few lessons about how to sew stuff together properly You might notice there are folded strips around the perimeter that have no purpose, other than the material cost too much to not finish the project. It's still solid, just looks funny. If I hadn't made that mistake, this would be an awesome UQ all around.

It is made of gray-green (gray) Momentum .9 oz MR fabric, and uses a single layer of Climashield XP 2.5 OZ. It is about 42" wide in the middle, tapering towards the ends, with stretchcord drawstrings to make a better fit. It is about 50" long. The suspension uses stretchcord down the sides. The bottom shell is baggy, so it blocks the wind surprisingly well and has dead air space to insulate. I tried to fit it for a right-footboxed Blackbird, and I've found it fit on a Hennessy and a Speer hammock quite well. It does seem to fit nicely.

I attempted to make it as light as possible, so it weighs 8.8 oz It doesn't come with biners for attachment or a stuffsack, so those would add extra weight. It packs down super small, I seem to recall it could go as small as 130 c.i.

As far as temperature, I tested it one night in damp weather with a little wind and no tarp to block wind. I was wearing nylon pants, a T-shirt, and a long sleeve shirt, no jacket or baselayers. It got down to 38 that night, I wasn't really warm underneath, but didn't "freeze". I think this UQ, would be fine for the warmer months down to 50F. I was hoping it might be good to 40F, but I have my doubts. For some reason, when I place my hand on it or drape it over my lap, it just feels warm. I've tried this on a quilt with 5 oz XP and 3.7 Combat, and they don't put off that much warmth, this is just my perception, FWIW.

I'm selling it to fund materials for one that's slightly warmer, using 3.7 Combat and weighing a "heavy" 11 oz.

$60 shipped. If you don't like it based on a backyard hang, you can send it back shortly after receiving.

Last edited by Coldspring; 03-21-2010 at 10:09.

• + New Posts