Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

Frameless backpacks - do they work for hangers?

Just about through redoing my gear list in the pursuit of ultralight comfort. Since I made the change to hanging, I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a frameless backpack. If I'm not going to sleep on the pad, it seems like a waste of weight, and I'm now wondering if I shouldn't reconsider the frameless decision. Any thoughts? Thx!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Framless backpacks for hangers

I use a ULA conduit frameless pack and it works well for me. You will need to pay attention to the weight ratings since they generally carry less. The advantage of frameless is additional weight savings - my Conduit weighs 22oz. Hammocking made it a bit of a challenge to get everything to fit in my pack. I use a HH Hyperlite, Speer 8x10 tarp, and Nest/No Sniveler quilt combo. But I did manage to get this to work well for a recent 5 day trip. I stored my hammock and tarp in the outer front pocket, which is fairly large in the Conduit. Most hammockers bring along a pad anyhow as a contingency in case they are forced to "go to ground", so the pad you use as a pack frame support does in theory get dual usage. I also used my Gossamer Gear NightLight pad as a camp seat.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have a Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak pack. It's frameless. Weighs 10.5 oz with hip belt. Works well for me. 20 lb limit. You really should consider always taking a pad with you. Especially with a hammock. With a frameless pack and your pad as a frame, your ready for the unexpected cold tush.....
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have gotten so that I almost always carry a torso length blue WM CCF pad with me. I have not needed this summer for sleeping, but I use it as a sit pad and a "door mat" when getting in and out of my hammock.

Remember than going from a traditional pack to an UL pack is one of the easiest ways to knock a big chunk of weight off of your base weight. Both my ULA Catalyst and my Latitude Vapor save me over 2 lbs when I switched from a traditional pack. After loosing that much weight adding a pad to your year-round setup is not that big of a deal.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Not to Hijack the thread but...

What about frameless packs if you have back issues?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Don't want to get too far away from hammock discussion but I would figure out all your other gear and get a pack to match your gear as your last purchase. ULA Conduit fits my gear about perfect.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Well a hammock will be in it. And the Hammock helps my back. So I wanted to know if it would be pushing my luck to get a frameless pack as well as using the hammock.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    How much weight you carry will be the determining factor in the need for a frame, with adds more weight. It took me awhile to get my gear to the point a frameless pack was feasible. Get your gear together that you feel you need and buy the pack to fit. A DIY hammock with JRB quilts and a small pad (frame) will get you to a frameless pack quickly.

P.S. Tried to work the hammock into the conversation!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of us use frameless packs. I have a GoLite Speed (before the redesign) and a homemade frameless one. On both, I can stuff my gear well enough that I don't need a pad as a framesheet. I've started carrying a torso pad but mainly just use it as a sit pad...prolly leave it behind for most summer trips in favor of a simple sit pad sized just right for a pack frame. But a frameless pack is easier to use w/ a hammock than a tent, IMO, b/c there are no poles to worry about.

Re: back issues...it depends on your issue! A good fitting pack is the most important thing. In general, frameless packs take more consideration when packing, and I'd imagine it's more of an issue of you have back problems. You may be able to find a frameless pack that fits your needs...only one way to find out! I wouldn't rule out frameless packs simply b/c I had back problems, but I'd be more careful when testing out new ones and take shorter trips until I found one I liked.

And I second the suggestion that a pack should be one of the last items you go UL with. It's easy to carry 15 lbs of UL gear in a heavy pack rated for 50 lbs. It's not so easy to carry 40 lbs of normal gear in an UL pack rated for 25. And bulk is an issue there, too.

Especially in summer, a hammock can save you quite a bit of bulk AND weight for the level of comfort...a tarp+CCF pad is much bulkier, while a tarp+inflatable pad is heavier, than a hammock system for the same summer temps. Plus you get bug protection! And you can always sleep on top of your frameless pack for a little extra insulation if needed...can't do that in a hammock with a frame pack! Not safely, anyway...
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 07-30-2007 at 17:54.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I have a Gregory Tega. It 's max is 25lbs. My total with tent, food for 4 days and water was 30. I am PROBABLY going to have a HH Backpacker UL and have not found a definite UQ option. I might make one, have one made or buy one. I am 5'2" so Id like to have one made or make one. This will cut a little weight. And I'd also like an Overquilt instead of my Mummybag(Marmot 20degree Trestles synth.)

My back issue is chronic pain/weakness in my lower back. I did Physical therapy and tried muscle relxers. I also have just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis. So that may also be part of the problem. Basically It bothers me after sleeping at night. In the hammock there was no problem. When I was hiking I started losing more and more sleep until the last night I was out and got NO sleep. My vision was blurry, my shoulder began to ache b/c I was asking it to take more and more of the load off my back.

I am on Cymbalta right now. It is a pain med/antidepressant. Feeling all achy and having severe joint pains at 27 kinda put me in the dumps. That along with the failed Thru after 7 years of dreaming and researching. It helps my back surprisingly. I just know hiking isn't a low impact sport. lol

I get what you're saying about the UL pack with reg. gear. I think I'll stick to my internal frame for now. Thanks!
    -Churchill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast