Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Once in a while one comes across a new "term". This one struck me as kinda nice:

"hammock scientist"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Gave this a shot this past weekend. Got down to 27F one night. I wrapped the Heatsheet around my hammock as specified (my son said it looked like a shiny hot dog wrapper). I tweaked the ends so that they wrapped close to the hammock and didn't shift during the night. I place a thin CCF pad in the hammock and slept in a 30F mummy bag. There was a light breeze all night.

The result: I was pretty chilly after a few hours. The Heatsheet did a good job blocking the breeze, but I had some uncomfortable cold-back syndrome. On night number two when it got down to about 45F, this setup worked like a charm and I slept well. The Heatsheet is pretty noisy. It is much more durable than I expected.

Bottom line: I will take this with me during 50+ camping weather because it weighs next to nothing and has multiple uses. Any colder will require additional insulation.
    Hey Nav,
    Not bad results I suppose considering. Not that I have any experience with this set up- I have only used Heatsheets on top of other insulation like in a HH SS or Peapod. But your post did have me wondering if you had the shiny side of the Heatsheet facing the hammock? I ask that because you said "my son said it looked like a shiny hot dog wrapper". Though maybe he was just commenting on what one side of the Heatsheet looked like, not on how the hammock looked once the HS was set up.

Any condensation issues?

Images
    Shiny side faced in, orange side out. It's still a little shiny even on the printed side.

Condensation? Not too bad. A little dampness in the morning.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No Se-em Mesh
    Tarp
    Outdoor Edge 8x10
    Insulation
    Insultex
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images

Underquilt with heat sheet

I have come up with an underqulit that works for me. I took DWR ripstop, sewed in a 2 person heatsheet, then attached a removal layer of insultex.
    The insultex is on the top, then the heat sheet, then the DWR.

I use it with out the insultex during the summer, use one layer of insultex in fall, then if it is really cold I use two layer insultex.

I have never had condensation, but I also make sure to leave about 4" of air between my hammock and insultex.

I have folded fabric over and sewed in a loop all around the perimter, then have the underquilt hanging on 550 cord, it will slide around and allow me to adjust it as I need it to fit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm working on an under cover that's comprised of a space tarp. (space blanket on one side, tarp on the other) I cut it to the basic shape of my hennessy hammock and am now trying to figure out the best way to hang it from the bottom. thinking shock cord. I've read on this site about using space blankets, but the tarp version is more rigid. Does anybody here know what kind of warmth this will give me? Has anyone tried something like this before?

Images

Trying again

I'm giving the AMK UQ another go this week. Heading to the Sipsey Wilderness in the morning, and I expect to see lows in the 40s the next two nights. Made a few changes: I folded over and taped two edges to make channels on each end. I've passed shock cord through the channels so that the ends will gather around the ends of the hammock. I also plan to put my Reflectix pad in the Heatsheet rather than the hammock to make getting comfortable a bit easier. I'll let you know how it goes, and hopefully have a couple of pics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12