Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY red 1.9 oz nylon gather end
    Tarp
    DIY ripstop 5 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt

Space blanket UQ

I am thinking about making a space blanket UQ by sewing the sb to a piece of nylon with loops in the corners. Just to give it some strength. I would just be using it in the warmer summer months here in MN, maybe down to 50. I am using a homemade tarp and hammock. Is this a good idea? Do you think it will keep me warm.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you were also in a sleeping bag and not just a TQ that might work. On it's own, a space blanket with a piece of nylon probably won't get you 20 degrees of insulation.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If you were also in a sleeping bag and not just a TQ that might work. On it's own, a space blanket with a piece of nylon probably won't get you 20 degrees of insulation.
    Also, if you're a condensator/sweater like I am, you'll probably be wet on the underneath side in the morning. Another thing, the space blankets tear pretty easily.

I've found in the warmer temps(50 and up) that a large sized windshield reflector works for me. They are cheap, light and pack down pretty well.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've used the "2p heatsheet" alone and easily stayed toasty warm in these temps. Condensation has nothing to do with it as long as you "do not" deploy your bug netting at night. This is because the netting captures the moisture from your breath and soaks everything.

As far as durability goes, I've used a single "Adventure Medical Heatsheet" for years without any damage. They're much tougher than you think, or at least these are.

If you get a little cool simply slide an aluminized windshield heat reflector (the kind with the bubbles) in between the hammock body and the heatsheet.

I posted some information on that one time, you should look at it and the picks.

Now, that being said, I use a -8 degree down bag in cold weather and a 47 degree bag in cool and warm weather.

Here's the link to my thread and you can view the 2 pics showing the heatsheet in my gallery:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5383

One more thing, I use a Clarks hammock so I can't say how well this will work on yours.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    I've used the "2p heatsheet" alone and easily stayed toasty warm in these temps. Condensation has nothing to do with it as long as you "do not" deploy your bug netting at night. This is because the netting captures the moisture from your breath and soaks everything.
    I'll disagree with you on the condensation statement. I've slept with my bugnet not deployed, with a heat sheet and or windshield reflector between my double layers in the hammock and usually end up with some or a lot of moisture on the reflector sheet either dampening or one time making my back side pretty wet.

I think it depends on the person and the conditions. I'm a sweater and the night I was very wet was a very humid night.

In the end, what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all. Lots of experimenting to see what works for you, I think that's part of what makes "hammockery" fun.

So let your inner "hammock scientist" free and get out there and try some things.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    I'll disagree with you on the condensation statement. I've slept with my bugnet not deployed, with a heat sheet and or windshield reflector between my double layers in the hammock and usually end up with some or a lot of moisture on the reflector sheet either dampening or one time making my back side pretty wet.

I think it depends on the person and the conditions. I'm a sweater and the night I was very wet was a very humid night.

In the end, what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all. Lots of experimenting to see what works for you, I think that's part of what makes "hammockery" fun.

So let your inner "hammock scientist" free and get out there and try some things.

Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post

Randy
    Your mistake could have been that you placed it between 2 layers in your hammock. It should be placed on the outside of the hammock and he's only talking 50 degree temps here.

As I stated though, it may not work on other hammocks as well as it does on a Clark's. All I know is that if I use both "suggested" pieces, it gets so hot that steam rolls out when I zip open my sleeping bag.

Hammock
    DIY red 1.9 oz nylon gather end
    Tarp
    DIY ripstop 5 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt
    Thanks for the replies. I will be taking your advice hangin yankee and will be letting my inner "hammock scientist" free. By the way some of you said it would work and others not so much I guess the only way to find out for myself is to try it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post

As far as durability goes, I've used a single "Adventure Medical Heatsheet" for years without any damage. They're much tougher than you think, or at least these are.
    Gave this a shot this past weekend. Got down to 27F one night. I wrapped the Heatsheet around my hammock as specified (my son said it looked like a shiny hot dog wrapper). I tweaked the ends so that they wrapped close to the hammock and didn't shift during the night. I place a thin CCF pad in the hammock and slept in a 30F mummy bag. There was a light breeze all night.

The result: I was pretty chilly after a few hours. The Heatsheet did a good job blocking the breeze, but I had some uncomfortable cold-back syndrome. On night number two when it got down to about 45F, this setup worked like a charm and I slept well. The Heatsheet is pretty noisy. It is much more durable than I expected.

Bottom line: I will take this with me during 50+ camping weather because it weighs next to nothing and has multiple uses. Any colder will require additional insulation.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Once in a while one comes across a new "term". This one struck me as kinda nice:

"hammock scientist"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Gave this a shot this past weekend. Got down to 27F one night. I wrapped the Heatsheet around my hammock as specified (my son said it looked like a shiny hot dog wrapper). I tweaked the ends so that they wrapped close to the hammock and didn't shift during the night. I place a thin CCF pad in the hammock and slept in a 30F mummy bag. There was a light breeze all night.

The result: I was pretty chilly after a few hours. The Heatsheet did a good job blocking the breeze, but I had some uncomfortable cold-back syndrome. On night number two when it got down to about 45F, this setup worked like a charm and I slept well. The Heatsheet is pretty noisy. It is much more durable than I expected.

Bottom line: I will take this with me during 50+ camping weather because it weighs next to nothing and has multiple uses. Any colder will require additional insulation.
    Hey Nav,
    Not bad results I suppose considering. Not that I have any experience with this set up- I have only used Heatsheets on top of other insulation like in a HH SS or Peapod. But your post did have me wondering if you had the shiny side of the Heatsheet facing the hammock? I ask that because you said "my son said it looked like a shiny hot dog wrapper". Though maybe he was just commenting on what one side of the Heatsheet looked like, not on how the hammock looked once the HS was set up.

Any condensation issues?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast