Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

Poncho Tarp Suggestions

I know this has been touched on a bit in the past, but I wanted to get some fresh opinions on the subject.

I would not consider myself an ultra light hiker (more of a lightweight hiker) but I do hate carrying too much extra gear, especially if it is redundant. To this end, I occasionally consider getting a few campmor/golite poncho tarps to use as a cover for my hammocks. I think the idea has surfaced again for me since I recently got a couple hammocks for my twin girls to use.

So what are your thoughts?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Ponchos that are long enough for good hammock coverage are too big to wear while hiking. And ponchos that are the right size to wear are too minimal for use as a hammock tarp.

JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Even if hung diagonally in an asym fashion?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Probably the best answer to that question would be to give it a try with a poncho you already have. Only you can tell whether something would perform to your satisfaction or not. It has been done. I prefer a bigger tarp so that I have some real estate to move around in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwieb View Post
    I know this has been touched on a bit in the past, but I wanted to get some fresh opinions on the subject.

I would not consider myself an ultra light hiker (more of a lightweight hiker) but I do hate carrying too much extra gear, especially if it is redundant. To this end, I occasionally consider getting a few campmor/golite poncho tarps to use as a cover for my hammocks. I think the idea has surfaced again for me since I recently got a couple hammocks for my twin girls to use.

So what are your thoughts?
    I think you need to consider the comfort of your twins as the primary deciding factor. A sub-standard tarp system that doesn't perform when needed could have a negative impact on their desire to continue hammocking. I use big tarps with my boys so they have somewhere to pass the time during a rain storm and not be confined to the hammock. YMMV.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Me personally ... saving the weight of the tarp to use the poncho wouldn't be worth it. First of all if it's raining ... you can't much get out from under your tarp/poncho ... because it's tied to your trees/hammock. I like a little larger coverage than I'd ever get from a poncho for cooking ... lolly gagging or just enjoying the rain. But I like to walk around in the rain on occasion ... so anyway ...

My suggestion is use a tarp and get a PACKA ... rain gear and pack cover. Not to mention the power of the PACKA

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've made one of Roy Robinson's poncho-tarptents and hung it diagonally over my hammock. The hood is not centered lengthwise in the poncho, so the back is longer than the front. When wearing the poncho without a pack, you fold up 18" of the back (fastened with velco) so it doesn't drag on the ground. When wearing a pack the extra length gives coverage for you and the pack. This is a workable light-weight solution. As a hammock tarp, it gives better coverage than a HH stock tarp, but not much protection from the side. This can be partially offset by choosing protected campsites and planning trips in moderate weather. The diagonal of this tarp is 128", which is longer than my ridgeline.
    I found the hood can be sealed off okay when using the poncho as a tarp. I modified mine a bit: (1) the head opening wasn't as big as I like - it snagged my glasses - so I added a gusset, and (2) I used some GripClips to add a rectangle of bungee inside the back to snug it around my pack - makes it into a poor man's Packa. This is a great mod.

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

The idea for the bungee drawcord mod came from this thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=packa+poncho
    The drawcord is the only part that I used, not the added fabric for the pack cover. My poncho stores snugged around the pack as a pack cover, with the rest tucked under the drawcord at the edges. It's easy to deploy without taking off the pack - much like the Packa.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

ponchos are enough

The answer is maybe. It depends on your style. I use a poncho when hiking solo, but I do not spend a lot of time in camp. I generally start moving at first light and stop for breakfast, hike until time to stop for dinner, then hike another couple of hours after dinner. This is not a good style for hiking with kids.

Once I did a six night trip with a ground dwelling buddy. We had our ponchos on at least once a day on all seven days. I hiked in the poncho and took a MacCat Deluxe for my hammock fy. After the first night I set the MacCat up as a dining fly that I shared with my buddy and used the poncho on my hammock. That would be useful for hiking with the kids.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've used one - it is the minimal coverage as stated. Mine is about as big as the Hennessy Asym tarp is. Here is a pic of them together

You have less room for error, and in a bad storm you have to play with where and how you hang.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Not to mention the power of the PACKA
    I can not belive I missed that video I laughed through the whole thing.
    Grizz love the mel brooks hommage.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast