Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammocks in the News

Ok, so it's Buffalo, NY. But at least there is some interest in backpacking and new ways of doing things.

This article came out this past weekend.

The ring buckle system works like a charm but didn't make it into the photos.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    That's a nice article. Hammocks and lightweight packing is starting to get noticed a little more by the mainstreamers.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I liked the article. I especially liked the fact that UL and SUL hiking are becoming somewhat synonymous with Hammock Hanging...COOL

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's cool! slowly but surely, more & more people are learning how to sleep right<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've converted 3 family members so far and half a dozen friends. Two of them are sleeping in hammocks full-time now!

It is a lightweight addiction for hiking. I had no desire to be an ounce counter when I started hiking again. The hammock thing is what got it started and when I hit the big trail I know I'll be happy I converted.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1&quot;poly webbing
    Images
    All the people I take hiking with me end up having me make a hammock for them. I also go over all their gear to make sure that they do not carry anything that they do not need, or that we can share. I remember carrying 40-50 pounds, dragging into camp dead tired, but now I love carrying 20 or less, hiking farther and not beig tired when I get into camp. It just makes sense
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    All the people I take hiking with me end up having me make a hammock for them. I also go over all their gear to make sure that they do not carry anything that they do not need, or that we can share. I remember carrying 40-50 pounds, dragging into camp dead tired, but now I love carrying 20 or less, hiking farther and not beig tired when I get into camp. It just makes sense
    same here. going light & simple makes more sense every day, & my friends are beginning to figure that out too<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I love my hammock setup. I had just received a bivy from a co-worker for helping him close a huge deal and I have set it up once, when it came. I might sell it because I'm never sleeping on the ground again.

I appreciate the replies. This article was probably in response to my efforts to let people know that backpacking is less arduous and more fun than it used to be (I'm not sure who contacted the reporter). Hammocks are a great way to lighten up and get a better night's sleep. It's amazing how difficult it is to change peoples' perception of things they may have done in their childhood 30 years ago.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get kids to enjoy the "big blue room"- outdoors and away from the video screens and gameboys. If anyone has comments about kids making and using their own hammocks I would welcome input. My kid wants to sleep next to myself of Mom in a tent for peace of mind. I suppose we could hang under the same tarp...

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1&quot;poly webbing
    Images
    My kids love to go camping, we have a 18 month old baby boy, so my wife stays in the tent with him. Otherwise she likes sleeping in hammocks, as long as she is warm. My 3 year old son, and 9 year old daughter both have their own hammocks, and I just strung one up inside their playhouse. My boy has no problems sleeping by himself, except when he is too tired and cranky to get out of the hammock and go pee. He cries when he cannot hang with me
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast