Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie/FixedStrap

Consistent Hang

Let me start by saying I am a hammock noob trying to figure out the best one to purchase for my use....

I am looking hard at the jungle hammock by claytor. I have read somewhere the wonders of other hammocks having a consistent hang (ie....101 inch ridgeline). It seems to me that consistency and ease of setup would be a big plus. Can a consistent hang be easily achieved with the JH by claytor? Or will it require mucking about?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    consistent hangs always require mucking about. It's just that after a while you get to the point where not as much mucking about is needed. Mostly because the elusive "consistent" hang is less critical as you get used to the process of hanging your hammock in various places from various supports. You can use a ridgeline or you can use your eye. Neither is absolutely guaranteed to be the be all and end all. A lot depends on what you want.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie/FixedStrap

Consistency

I appreciate the input. And my research continues....

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    "I know it when I see it." Justice Potter Stewart
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I added a structural ridgeline to my Clark, ala RAW's thread, and it took me a few nights of hanging and adjusting before I found the ridgeline length that worked for me. Once I had it though, all was good and set-up from then on was fast and repeatable.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    I have never used a ridge line, and never had a problem getting a consistant hang with my Claytor JH.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GNUbalance View Post
    Let me start by saying I am a hammock noob trying to figure out the best one to purchase for my use....

I am looking hard at the jungle hammock by claytor. I have read somewhere the wonders of other hammocks having a consistent hang (ie....101 inch ridgeline). It seems to me that consistency and ease of setup would be a big plus. Can a consistent hang be easily achieved with the JH by claytor? Or will it require mucking about?
    i am the leader of the claytor clan.ridgelines are not neccessary on a claytor
    i been using my claytor jungle over 4 years now,neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet.
    Suspension
    Open to suggestion

Now I'm lost.

I to am a noob. I thought I was with most of the lingo, but you guys lost me. What is the "ridgeline"? Am I missin somethin. Is it a term, like "line of site"/
    or an apparatus, or part of the hammock? Sorry, Rookie. and Thanks.

A ridgeline is a line running from one end of the hammock to the other end of the hammock. The overly simplified explanation is that your hammock is then hanging under the ridgeline rather than hanging between the suspension lines. It will make your hammock lay in the same curve no matter how tight or loose your lines to the trees are. Without a ridgeline, if you tighten or loosen the lines between the hammock and the trees, you change how tight the hammock is. With a ridgeline, the tightness of the hammock is always the same. Mostly. Sorta.
    Last edited by Boris Losdindawoods; 04-24-2010 at 15:22. Reason: speeling

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    To me, the claytor is really easy to hang and get the right tension on it-------dont worry too much about it!-----you can use a ridge line and make a big deal about it, but its a really easy hammock to hang correctly-------just practice at home a few times and just wing it! Speaking for my self, this forum is great, but there is such a massive amount of information out there that even simple things can seem complicated! Especially if you have some type of adjustment system (whoopie slings, tri glides etc) its a piece of cake------good luck!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts