Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've slept in a waterproof/non-breathable hammock before (Crazy Crib) and didn't have any condensation problems. Surprised me, but I didn't. Temps were between 30s and 80s.

Gardenville made a cuben hammock and I don't remember him posting any bad results on condensation. He also made a cuben TQ, though...maybe he just didn't post about it b/c he was going for a VB effect.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Added Info

Hello Again,

I will post as regularly as possible, but if you have any specific questions feel free to site them at the website. There is a link to my direct email and I would be happy to answer as quickly as possible.

As for a UQ and TQ, I have a production UQ which will allow you to utilize your own choice of insulation. It is a half UQ design with suspension cord and hooks, it essentially allows you to insert a foam pad or reflectix pad into the slot created between the bottom of the hammock and the UQ. The UQ without insulation is roughly 3oz. I personally use a foam pad made of plastezote and cut to size that weighs approximately 1.5oz. Thats all you really need for moderately cold temperatures in my opinion because you do not have "blow through" like silnylon. Don't get me wrong, the surface of the hammock still gets cold but heat loss is not as significant.

Which brings me to condensation. I have not experienced any issues with condensation. However, this is mostly due to TQ selection. I highly recommend a breathable top quilt. I believe the lack of condensation is due in part to heat rising. If combined with a non-breathable top quilt you will have no place for heat to escape and thus condensation will form. Warmer temperatures should not be an issue because of the amount of ventilation on top. I noticed that in really warm conditions I did not sweat through because the way I tie the hammock ends allows for the sides to be lowered "so to speak", allowing air to pass over you. Currently, this is the area I am experimenting with bug nets and different configurations that limit limitations.

I will also make available, shortly, the Cocoon IUL, a integrated one-piece hammock, tarp, bug net combo. This will require the use of a elevated tie out point, like a inverted stick or hiking staff. It will be focused at adventure racers or extreme ultra-light enthusiasts. The Cocoon IUL should scare you all at the possibilities! haha

As for full tarps, I will not produce them only because I think there are a number of people already making them sufficiently. I would just be over-saturating the market. My intent is to offer things not already offered.

As for a bridge design, that is in the works. I have not had much time to experiment yet, but have got a couple ideas and designs to test.

I hope I got everyone. Sorry about the length. ( that sounds wrong ) haha

Larry

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steffler View Post
    ..."blow through" like silnylon.
    I'm not familiar with that attribute of silnylon.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe a typo...most quilts are made from DWR which can pass air. Sil doesn't pass air.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the info, Steffler. Will be interesting to see how they do when more people start using them.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Maybe a typo...most quilts are made from DWR
    He's talking about hammocks, which are usually neither sil nor DWR...

Steffler, if you drop the "sil" then it makes sense. Silnylon should block air just as cuben.

[Sorry, don't mean to nit-pick... never thought about that aspect of an uninsulated hammock!]
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steffler View Post
    As for a UQ and TQ, I have a production UQ which will allow you to utilize your own choice of insulation. It is a half UQ design with suspension cord and hooks, it essentially allows you to insert a foam pad or reflectix pad into the slot created between the bottom of the hammock and the UQ. The UQ without insulation is roughly 3oz. I personally use a foam pad made of plastezote and cut to size that weighs approximately 1.5oz. Thats all you really need for moderately cold temperatures in my opinion because you do not have "blow through" like silnylon. Don't get me wrong, the surface of the hammock still gets cold but heat loss is not as significant.
    Emphasis added.

I think he was talking about quilts there.

And lots of hammock are made from DWR. I've had water pool up in the bottom of my Hennessy and keep my UQ dry. Untreated fabric doesn't do that.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, then I am all mixed up heah now!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Never had my hammock "pass air"... its occupant however... *ducks thrown fruit for the extremely childish breaking-wind humor* Then again, it could have been the fault of "barking spiders" taking shelter under the tarp.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    they got one hammock on the site now...

called a sparrow classic but they are using 1.5 oz cuben fiber so its heavier then some normal hammocks......

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123