Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugnet Pain

Bugnet Pain

I am having a bit of a bugnet dilema. In my past diy hammocks I have actually never sewn the bugnet directly to the hammock, instead I went the easier route with a tube.

I am now building a new hammock and have the desire to attach the bugnet. This appeared relatively straight forward at first, but as I proceeded I have experienced some serious cerebral flatulence. What I am trying to garner from the gods of DIY is how to accurately determine the shape that the bugnet needs to be cut, inorder to reduce stress on the bugnet and seams and also to keep from having too much slack in the bugnet?

The dimmensions for the hammock are 11 feet, it is a double layer using the camo from Scott's group buy. I have the hammock body built, whipped, and hung. I plan to have to pull outs about shoulder level that pull the hammock/bugnet away from the body (like the WBB). I believe the general shape would be that of a elongated diamond.

Does anyone have a magical forumla? or a easy way to calculate and determine this? I really need something that is relatively idiot proof.

gracias,

DG

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    As one who has sewn several bug-nets into hammocks, I share your pain.

The path of least resistance is to get yourself someone who lays in the hammock for you while you work with a big piece of netting, pins, and a marker.
    Pin it out the way you want it to lay, mark it, unpin it and let your assistant out.

my $0.05
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoat View Post
    Does anyone have a magical forumla? or a easy way to calculate and determine this? I really need something that is relatively idiot proof.
    There is nothing magic about the formula. You need to know the length of the hammock fabric between start of bugnet and end of bugnet. That is probably somewhere between 10" and 20" shorter than the overall hammock length. The second thing you need to know is the length of your ridgeline between those points when the hammock is hung. The last variable is the location of your pull-outs. The shape of the bugnet is independent of the width of your hammock fabric. Post those measurements and I'll make you a drawing of the bugnet shape.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Schneiderlein thinks in 3D!

maybe you could put up a spreadsheet... seriously ...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Schneiderlein thinks in 3D!

It is actually a 2D problem! The length of the ridgeline determines the baseline of the triangle. The length of the hammock fabric tells you what the two other sides add up to. If you know where the pull-out is, the triangle is fully determined.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also do it like Grizz. Hang it up, get a ridgeline length you like, stake out the side pulls and lay the no-see-um over the hammock and start pinning.

I sewed it in sections. Did one side and rehung to double check everything, then sewed the next portion and checked it again. Repeat until finished. I usually end up unstitching a little here or there to work out a wrinkle or pucker.

Patience is a virtue. Good luck.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I don't really do spreadsheets. I did write a little program, not so much to figure out the triangle shape, but to determine the width of the bugnet that I need to cut, and then how much to cut off each side to make it into the elongated diamond.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Bug net woes

I used to do the whole pinning thing while someone lays in the hammock and I suppose it works well enough but I stop doing that when I found the guide that HC4U has out there for making the HH clone. The little bugnet formula (for lack of a better word) worked like charm. All math and no pinning. And the cool thing is that you can play with the measurements to suit your own dimensions. I do not have time to find the link to the thread but it is pretty popular and I think it has been discussed recently.

Has anyone else had good or bad results using this method?

~Stormcrow

edit: oops, did not read all of what Schneiderlein posted. That is pretty much the same thing I did. There are some diagrams about it in that above mentioned thread I believe.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I think your best bet is to adapt the instructions from HC4U on the HH clone from this thread. Look at the bottom of the first post. It worked very very well for me.

EDIT: Stormcrow beat me to it!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hang hammock (done), fill hammock with volunteer or inanimate objects (pillows, weights, gear,blankets, case of beer, whatever) to fill hammock out to shape of your body. Lay netting over ridgeline, pin in place (leaving for hem allowance), trim excess. Carefully remove hammock to sewing room, and continue attaching net.

I did use a box of the chip clip thingies once, they worked too. and a case of beer.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast