Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    My only complaint is that thus far I have not found a viable way to sleep WITH my lovely bride. Hanging next to her in separate hammocks is one thing, but when you are both used to snuggling up (and I am not referring to any other recreational activity), one hammock is not terribly comfortable (IMHO--I know there are a couple folks here that do it), and hanging next to each other loses the "togetherness".
    Maybe if you sew two hammocks side-by-side and hang it from the one suspension, you'd have more room and still maintain togetherness (in theory).
    You'd probably need a very wide tree for that, or two trees that are pretty close together.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Trees in Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    #1)
    These problems are very area dependent. I bet folks have a hard time finding a spot to hang in parts of Arizona too.
    Well, maybe down the canyon, perhaps, but I haven't had a problem finding trees in Arizona

I think the biggest negative for me is that I'm now some kind of "elitist" camper and my groundling friends make fun of me *sniff* -- it's like converting from a PC to a Macintosh.

Oh, and my kids always complain when I surf Hammock Forums: "Dad! Not 'Hammock Forums' again!"

Ah, yes. Therapy. People will tell you you need it. I happily comply, jump into my hammock, relax and reply, "okay, doc, ask away!"

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree that the learning curve is exaggerated. Even if the kit you start with isn't the lightest or most hassle-free, it still works. A good sleeping bag, WW ccf, blue tarp and a parachute hammock will work fine. The only learning curve is figuring out how to make things easier and lighter so you can enjoy yourself more. I did the same thing with tents, but could never be satisfied. 3 lbs for a two person tent and still uncomforable just sucks. My kit comes in a only slightly less than that, but I'm crazy comfortable. The gear closet evolves.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Negatives: 1:trees or big limbs falling on you.
    Thanks for making that point. I think it's the most prominent negative from my perspective, yet it remains a relatively low risk assuming one is careful about site selection.

Weight? My hammock setup is *lighter* than my previous ground setup. In any case, I think it's essential to consider comfort; the purpose is to achieve *rest*, after all. One might think in terms of a ratio relating rest to weight, and the rest:weight of my hammock is much higher than any ground gear I've used, unless perhaps I were to tear up a a great heap of sphagnum to make a soft nest.

Incidentally, the entertainment industry does just that in our woods: stripping the moss off the forest to make movies (mostly bad ones, it seems). The "leave no trace" ethic need not be reserved for camping.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The learning curve is where it's at. People that don't enjoy it really aren't very interesting or creative, and should stay on the ground, in KOA campgrounds.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The learning curve is where it's at. People that don't enjoy it really aren't very interesting or creative, and should stay on the ground, in KOA campgrounds.
    I agree OG. It wouldn't be fun and interesting if I wasn't learning!! The biggest challenge I had was (and to some extent, still is) dealing with all those #*@#* acronyms But learning the "ropes" and getting the "hang" of things has been an immense amount of fun, not to mention the tweaking, changeing and improving(?). Of course these middle of the night sleepless sessions on the forum make for tired days

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    When I camp on the balds, its necessary to use a small tent because there are no trees. I would much rather do that than go down to tree level where there are no views to admire. Only negative about hammocks that I can think of...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I camped on an island where there were no trees with a bunch of buddies that were ground dwellers. The only real disadvantage was that I slept on the ground in my Claytor JH set up as a tent. I was still able to use the hammock, pad, etc. just in ground dwelling mode. Got by just fine.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

Florida State Parks?

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    The biggest negative I have is the time it takes to set up and take down the tarp over the hammock. Weight is a small problem. The other negative is there are too many places where we can't use our hammocks, like in Florida State Parks.
    You mean your not allowed to hang a hammock and camp out in a Florida State Park? Or you couldn't find enough trees to? Either way oops!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Against the rules in FL state parks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast