alcohol and oil stove

Hi all,

I come across this vid in a youtube trawl. Any one had any one test one of these ? seems like a good idea. carry less fuel or the same for longer burn times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AwtsLF9jU0

Regards

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Looks sort of like a modified super cat stove. Might have to try making one to see how it works. I use an inverted empty cat food can with a vegetable oil candle under it to keep coffee warm on the porch and it will burn for a long time on a little oil.

That's pretty nifty. I have made several Super Cats and had decent results. I'd like to try and make one of these next. I got a stack of empty cans ready for prototypes. Thanks for the post.
    I was also thinking of something similar to make an oil lamp using similar materials.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Kinda clever!

With the right amount of alcohol/oil fuel, you get the high heat boil, then the slow simmer. Too bad burning vegetable oils make a lot of soot, and the smell isn't so hot either. It may be worthwhile investigating other fuels to replace the olive/vegetable oil that would burn cleaner. I'd think lamp oil would burn a little cleaner, but it's still pretty dirty to cook with.

I doubt you'd save any weight on fuel.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I will tell you flat out that thing sucks. I tried it, and couldn't boil water for a full pot of coffee. Also, too many parts and fussy. I also tried some folding stoves. If I am canoeing, I take a jet boil, and thank God every time I use it. If I am hiking, I just make a campfire. I hate those little propane bottles, but man do they work well. Plus if I have alcohol, I will drink it, lol.

• + New Posts