Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    It has a breaking strength of 700 lbs but only supports 250 lbs in hammock ?????
    It's trig - the angle of the support causes 250 lbs in a hammock to exert a lot more force on the webbing than just the weight of the occupant. There are several threads here about it if you want the math...but I don't use supports rated for less than Ed's webbing b/c I've broken 550 cord (rated to 550 lbs) twice now.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I wish I had know about harbor frieght, I just ordered 30' from strapworks, and I have a Harbor frieght just 10min away
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

I did too

I just got one too and used it in the North Cascades National Park for 2 nights recently. It's great!!

I shopped around for many weeks and the cheapest I could find was $150 with shipping on Ebay.com. It's a little bit more comfortable than my DIY but it has a bug net and the A-sym shape makes it lay flatter. The spectra cord stretched too much at night. I suppose it'll take a few nights for that to get over with. The tarp is a little on the small side. I'll bring my Crazy Creek sil-nylon tarp if the forecast calls for any real rain.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I was in Walmart this weekend and I looked through their selection of rachet straps. They had a few straps that had some black webbing that had a breaking strength of 1800lbs. The webbing was really nice and flexible, like the HF webbing. They also had the same stuff in red and blue. I will probably pick up a set of the ratchet straps with the black webbing at some point in the future.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I am currently using similar straps in green from Target. Cost was $18 for two 12 ft long straps. The hooks are a real pain to remove even with a Dremel cut-off wheel, but they hold in the rings well and the loop is really well sewn together. Weight is 11 oz total with biners.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. dribbles View Post
    I am currently using similar straps in green from Target. Cost was $18 for two 12 ft long straps. The hooks are a real pain to remove even with a Dremel cut-off wheel, but they hold in the rings well and the loop is really well sewn together. Weight is 11 oz total with biners.
    Tip for that in the future: When you get the straps, go to the hardware section where they have chain and steel cable for sale. There is usually a heavy duty bolt-cutter there that would do wonders for quickly removing the hooks. That is, if you don't have a set of bolt-cutters at home already!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I was in Walmart this weekend and I looked through their selection of rachet straps. They had a few straps that had some black webbing that had a breaking strength of 1800lbs. The webbing was really nice and flexible, like the HF webbing. They also had the same stuff in red and blue. I will probably pick up a set of the ratchet straps with the black webbing at some point in the future.
    was that a set of two webbings?
    do you remember the length each strap & the cost?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I looked a several different kinds, but I almost positive it was 2 X 14' black straps for $14.94. That makes it about .28 per ft which ain't bad.

They also had one brand of straps that had a "triple layer" design and extra abrasion resistance. I think they were blue of red. They also had a set of black straps with a light reflective stripe down the middle, but they were kinda expensive.

They also has some webbing that was rated at 900lbs breaking strength. The webbing was a looser weave than the rest I looked at. They were the most affordable (don't recall price) and may offer a little more weight savings.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I'm using ratchtet strap that I got from work where the ratchet was broke, boss man let me have the long straps. One is brite orange and the other red.

I was very pleased with Strapworks. I wish I'd thought to ask them to sew loops. Instead I took it to a local cobbler, who did a fine job, but it cost more than the straps. Mine are the medium blue color, by the way. Twelve feet of strap at each end gives me plenty trees to choose from.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast