Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images

Other Adjustable Structural Ridgelines

I have some ideas, but no way of testing them out at the moment.

Has anybody tried making an adjustable ridgeline with prusik knots (don't know what sort of grip strength they have) or with figure 9's?

I ask because I have stuff laying around to do such things -- I know whoopie ridgelines are easy and effective. I'm just wondering.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It could be done. I have used a prussik to stretch and hold a 1" poly rope with 1000's of lbs of tension. It just needs to be the right size prussik loop and number of wraps.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    then maybe i'll give that a try and see how it works before i finally cave and just make a whoopie ridgeline

thanks

Edit:

Oh! also, any idea of a general weight that is put on the ridgeline during use? would some braided mason's line be strong enough (my guess is no, but maybe somebody will say yes)

I dont have a whole lot of small diameter, strong line.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    I have some ideas, but no way of testing them out at the moment.

Has anybody tried making an adjustable ridgeline with prusik knots (don't know what sort of grip strength they have) or with figure 9's?

I ask because I have stuff laying around to do such things -- I know whoopie ridgelines are easy and effective. I'm just wondering.
    yes. The ridgeline is tied at the foot end of the hammock, comes up to the head of the hammock and goes through a ring there, then turns around and heads back towards the foot end, but just a little ways. There's a toggle at the end of the line. Meanwhile, there's a prusik loop also on the the line…the toggle goes through that. The positioning of the prusik loop determines the length of the ridgeline between hammock ends.

The usual things about prusiks apply, that cord needs to be smaller in diameter, or you need more than 2 wraps in the prusik loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    Edit:

Oh! also, any idea of a general weight that is put on the ridgeline during use? would some braided mason's line be strong enough (my guess is no, but maybe somebody will say yes)

I dont have a whole lot of small diameter, strong line.
    That all depends on how taut the ridgeline is. You don't need it taut. You just need it to tell you how tightly the rest of the suspension needs to be in order to put the ends of your hammock the distance apart you want.

There's a formula, but if you don't crank the tension, you don't need the formula and you can use mason line.

My approach…the suspension starts loose enough so that the ridgeline droops a little. Then I tighten it up just to the point where the ridgeline loses the droop, there's just a little tension. Then I'm done.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    I'll give it a try! But sadly it will have to wait. There's currently a blizzard here in denver and I'm going out of town for a week and a half after that. So early april!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I suggested this method of shortening a ridgeline last year. It is infiinitely adjustable.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 03-24-2010 at 07:05.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    I use a taut-line hitch (Karen of Speer Hammocks taut me how to tie it ). It works pretty well but I'm really getting into this splicing thing. You know what that means...
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hi guys, my first post, though I've been lurking for a couple weeks...

I was just looking into adjustable ridgelines for my new hammock and have also been recently trying to learn some knots. I stumbled on a knot called the Adjustable Bend but couldnt find any mention of using it as a structural ridgeline. It would be so simple to tie off 5' of cord to each hammock end, then leave this permanently tied in the center. Do any of you use this method or is there some reason it's no good? I was just tying it with some cheapo paracord and it holds well as hard as I can pull by hand.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I want to replace the ridgeline on my WBBB with an adjustable whoppie one, do i have to attach it to a ring to make it work? Could'nt i just run the whoppie end through a small spliced continuous loop before burying it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I want to replace the ridgeline on my WBBB with an adjustable whoppie one, do i have to attach it to a ring to make it work? Could'nt i just run the whoppie end through a small spliced continuous loop before burying it?
    That would work just fine. It isn't moving when its under tension so no worries. I put one on my DIY hammock with a zing-it soft shackle so I could make it removeable if I wanted. Just another option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast