WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

Low end of SPE?

I've scanned various threads, but can't seem to find an answer to this.

I'm a cold sleeper, and like to burrow under my blankets. I realize this is subjective, but roughly how low of a temp could I sleep comfortably with a SPE? I've got CCF pads and an inflatable pad as well if needed.

It's doubtful that I'll have the time to get the funds in hand to purchase the New River or Lost River that I was considering before an outing at the end of April, and I'd like some input regarding what to expect. THis will be my first overnight in my hammock.

Backyard tests have been ok, but I haven't had the chance to try overnight at home yet due to illness.

Thanks,

- Mark (S-4-C)

Images
    This should give you an idea. Scroll down to the chart at the bottom.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Agree with T-Back on this, check out the chart on Ed's site. How warm you can stay with an SPE is significantly dependent on the pad(s) you use, as the SPE itself provides no insulative value.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    HH + DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    10'x10' DPM Basha
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hello,

this winter, with a home made SPE, a ridge rest sleeping pad, 2x 1/2 ccf pad wings and a Carhintia Defence 4 sleeping bag, i spent a night warm and toasty by -4° C (25° f?)

Last edited by JosephCurwen; 03-24-2010 at 09:53.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Been down to -7º in just two pads in an SPE..... a ccf and Thermarest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    How low can you go? Depending on what pads you put or stack in the SPE, lower than any temp you are likely to find.

I only used my SPE once, in my Speer hammock. It was only about 18-20F, some where in there. But I remember it as just plain toasty. I used a Thermarest Ridgerest full length, the thinnest Thermarest ultralight torso length self inflating, can't remember thickness, I think maybe 1". I was very warm, so I'm pretty sure I would have been OK a good bit lower. And I could have stacked much thicker pads if needed.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've slept toasty in the low teens F using a DIY SPE stuffed with a BA Insulated Aircore and a WallyWorld ccf. If you're using a TQ instead of a sleeping bag, you might want to bring a small fleece throw or something like that to reduce the condensation on your back.
    I prefer the comfort of an UQ by far, but there's no doubt that an SPE will go as low as you need iit to go with the right combination of pads.

Images
    My SPE has kept me warm many a night. It is unaffected by water and if the temps do get lower than what you had planned for, it can be used just as well on the ground. If grounded or in a shelter for whatever reason, the wings can be folded under to give you an extra layer of cushioning. Also, extra clothing, dry leaves, pine straw, etc. can be added under the pads for additional warmth. It's a very versatile design.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts