Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Strength of tarp ridgeline

I run a full length ridgeline beneath my tarp, with the idea it will take some strain off the tarp ridge, and since it is beneath the tarp, would help with any structural load (think snow). I leave it permanently attached and the tarp ridgeline is secured to the ridgeline with prussics for the ability to slide the tarp anywhere along the line, and for tightening the tarp. One end of the ridgeline is attached to the tree with a toggle, the other at the moment I'm using a figure nine. I would prefer to use a true trucker's hitch (the loop is made with a simple hitch, not a knot) but the yellow Lash It/Zing It will not hold, so I'm still exploring options there. I finally get to my question: does the line under the tarp add needed strength and support, or is it merely a figment of my imagination which is not really needed??

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I run a full length ridgeline beneath my tarp, with the idea it will take some strain off the tarp ridge, and since it is beneath the tarp, would help with any structural load (think snow). I leave it permanently attached and the tarp ridgeline is secured to the ridgeline with prussics for the ability to slide the tarp anywhere along the line, and for tightening the tarp. One end of the ridgeline is attached to the tree with a toggle, the other at the moment I'm using a figure nine. I would prefer to use a true trucker's hitch (the loop is made with a simple hitch, not a knot) but the yellow Lash It/Zing It will not hold, so I'm still exploring options there. I finally get to my question: does the line under the tarp add needed strength and support, or is it merely a figment of my imagination which is not really needed??
    It adds strength for snow load, but LashIt is probably overkill strengthwise. Not that overkill is bad....
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Personally, I like a very strong, very tight ridgeline because I hang my pack and just about everything from it. My hammock may be nine feet long, but I'm not and there's plenty of room. I used to use a strong(and heavy) braided rope and carabiners for that, with a bowline on one end and a truckers hitch on the other, but now I've made one with a whoopie that links to a sliding constrictor that has brummels on both ends. Think of a truckers hitch with a sliding loop tensioned by a whoopie. Now that we have Nacra-loops, I will be able to get rid of my last 'biner.

It's a trick to get tensioned right because once you start pulling it has to be one swift motion. I rarely get it guitar string tight, but even with considerable slack, it tightens up a ton with any weight hung from it.

I wouldn't link my tarp to that.

S

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Here's a visual.

S

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Here's a visual.

S
    Wow - Combination Whoopie Sling and UCR.

Splicing is really getting popular and the ideas for using are really popping.

This is really great - the more ideas posted, the better.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I wouldn't link my tarp to that.
    S
    Shane, the whoopie with UCR looks pretty interesting, however, I don't quite understand your comment about linking my tarp to it. I was referring to my tarp ridgeline, and not a hammock ridgeline, so are we on the same page?

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Shane, the whoopie with UCR looks pretty interesting, however, I don't quite understand your comment about linking my tarp to it. I was referring to my tarp ridgeline, and not a hammock ridgeline, so are we on the same page?
    Sorry,
    I thought you said you were attaching your tarp to your ridgeline. On my set up, my tarp (H Hex)is attached to the tree. My ridgeline, which is really just a utility line for hanging stuff, is attached separately, and the hammock is attached to the tree with whoopies -n- huggers. I just like them all independent. The utility ridgeline still lends some structural support to the tarp, but the tarp won't sag when I hang my pack from it. Nothing like a smartly pitched rainfly.

It sounds like a lot of junk, but really it's just a fist sized wad of amsteel.

S

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    This is going to sound real dumb but here goes anyway.....what is a nacra-loop and how do you make it?
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    This is going to sound real dumb but here goes anyway.....what is a nacra-loop and how do you make it?
    It is a loop shackle that can be used to replace a carabiner and was posted by nacra. See this thread for details.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks Shane. I actually do attach my tarp to the ridgeline via the prussics, which are tied to the ridge points of the tarp. Doing it this way would definitely not work if hanging a pack or anything very heavy, like you said. I was just doing it this way to get the tarp ridgeline drum tight, then using the prussics to slide the tarp taught. My theory was it would be a way to have a very tight ridgeline without putting all the stress on the tarp fabric. Maybe I'm way overthinking this thing. I would still be able to hang a few light things to the "rope" ridgeline, and use my hammock suspension for tying up a pack and boots, etc. I am getting the feeling that my worries about over stressing the tarp fabric may be all for naught. I still do like the option of being able to tie the "rope" ridgeline to both trees and tighten it, then be able to slide the tarp along this line to anywhere I want it, then snug it up. By the way, VERY nice and helpful diagrams!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast