WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable

Superfly & The Big Mama

Warbonnet Superfly, 132"x126", 17.5 oz, Silnylon, 130$
    Warbonnet Big Mamajamba, 132"x117", 15.25 oz, Silnylon, 115$

I may have missed something .. the size and weight are pretty much similar.. but is the only difference between the them is that the superfly got side pull out in the middle of the tarp ? I think having the option of sides pull-out for 15$ difference is totally worth it.

- Do they both need to be seam sealed with some product ? optionnal, recommanded, mendatory ?
    - Same amount of rings/attachments between the two ? (i think there are 4 .. on each corner, nothing in the middle or something)

I just got back from my first time blackbirding in the Canadian wilderness.. (below -11 celcius) with a cheap 9$ tarps and decided its time i do something about it.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    Warbonnet Superfly, 132"x126", 17.5 oz, Silnylon, 130$
    Warbonnet Big Mamajamba, 132"x117", 15.25 oz, Silnylon, 115$

I may have missed something .. the size and weight are pretty much similar.. but is the only difference between the them is that the superfly got side pull out in the middle of the tarp ? I think having the option of sides pull-out for 15$ difference is totally worth it.

- Do they both need to be seam sealed with some product ? optionnal, recommanded, mendatory ?
    - Same amount of rings/attachments between the two ? (i think there are 4 .. on each corner, nothing in the middle or something)
    The Superfly has longer sides (9 more inches) so you can pitch closer to the ground. The Mambajamba doesn't come standard with the side pull-outs but Brandon might be able to put them on custom for you. No seam sealing required due to the way the ridge seam is sewn plus it has a grosgrain strip sewn along the ridge which is pretty cool. The number of attachment rings are the same between the two tarps.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    You may have seen this picture from the Warbonnet site. It gives you a visual of the different size.

Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Thank you guys for the info

Pizza: nice resumé.. pretty much answered everything i needed to know
    HappyCamper: I indeed noticed this picture.. i assume the supafly is under.. and the big moma is squeezed between and the edge is on top.

That bring me to the following question for both of you.. your choice of tarp is around what i was shopping this morning..

Pizza: MC Dlx/WB Superfly.. when do you use what.. im looking at both options.
    HappyCamper: JRB 11x10 .. why a JRB over a superfly ? I like the size.. 11x10

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Pizza: MC Dlx/WB Superfly.. when do you use what.. im looking at both options.
    The MacCat Deluxe was my first tarp and I used it all of last year from spring until late fall. It's a fantastic tarp but I wanted more vertical coverage so I could pitch closer to ground for colder weather like in late fall and in winter and also have closeable doors. I had a couple trips where I could have used doors on my MacCat even in the summer during rain and drizzle when the wind shifted blew it into the open ends of the tarp. After getting the Superfly I am really liking doors so I sent my MacCat to 2Q/ZQ to have them sew the vestibule style doors on each end. Once I get that tarp back I will likely be using that throughout the summer until the colder weather comes next fall. Then I'll switch back to the Superfly. If I had to choose one and I was camping year round I'd go with the Superfly since it's more versatile but it's not a tarp for the gram weenies. After adding all of the lines and shock cord for the pull-outs etc. it's a pretty hefty tarp but I'd rather deal with the extra weight than not have the coverage when I want it.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    If I had to choose one and I was camping year round I'd go with the Superfly since it's more versatile but it's not a tarp for the gram weenies. After adding all of the lines and shock cord for the pull-outs etc. it's a pretty hefty tarp but I'd rather deal with the extra weight than not have the coverage when I want it.
    I would just like to ditto this statement.

I just bought my first tarp and I was looking at both the MC Ultra and the WB Superfly.

I deal with massive amount of rain so for me it was about getting out of the rain.

The more I thought about the design of the MC Ultra (curved bottom) verses the WB Superfly (straight bottom) plus the additional few inches of going closer to the ground, I choose the WB Superfly.

I paid the extra for the doors, to try to block side blowing rain coming in the sides.

Weight... yeah, hell of a lot lighter options out there... but as pizza said... when the bad weather comes in (which is almost always here in the middle of the Redwood forest) I'd rather have to lug an extra pound around and know I'm protected better and have more coverage than any other tarp out there.

I'm shooting for a pack under 20-pounds, so I am by far not a gram winnie... but, that at the same time that doesn't mean I want to carry around a 25-pound pack just because of a few extra 'whatever'. None the less, as I see it, nothing in the entire pack one carries does more for protecting you than your tarp... so, why skimp on that most important item?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    HappyCamper: JRB 11x10 .. why a JRB over a superfly ? I like the size.. 11x10
    I've had my JRB tarp for a few years now. I don't think Warbonnet had a site when I got my JRB (which I really like). I just got a Spinn Big Mama from Warbonnet because I wanted to try a spinn tarp and wanted to save a few ounces. I plan to use both.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    FWIW, I've been using the older big mambajamba for about a year now. I've had it out in rain driven by 65mph wind gusts and golfball sized hail. I found that the ridge doesn't leak at all, but I had brandon put side pulls on it and those leaked during the worst of the rainstorms I've been in. I seam sealed them after that trip and have had no problems since.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    how much are we talking to get side pulls on a big mama ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Brandon charged me $15, I think, but that was before he really got his site set up nice like it is now. I don't know what he charges for it now. Easiest way is to ask him. I've only had to use them once (in that really bad storm with 65+mph wind gusts), and they do add weight, so you might or might not need them. I've never had much snow on this tarp; I would imagine they would be important if you are going to winter camp with it.

I set this tarp up to be all-season b/c I don't have the funds to have a whole different setup for winter and summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast