Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy idea???

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Crazy idea???

I asked this question in another reporting the completion of my latest DIY hammock, but wasn't getting any response. So I decided to post it here in a new thread. If I still get no response I'll just take that as an answer

What if I designed the tie-outs on my hammock to attach to the inside part of the pull-outs on my tarp. So that the pull-outs on the tarp would also spread my hammock??? I would use shock cord on both so that there isn't a catastrophic failure and big leak in my tarp.

Is this a bad idea that should be thrown to the wayside or should I consider it further??? Input, suggestions???

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    You hammock will move/sway with you in it. I'm not sure that it's a good idea. Nice thinking out of the box though.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Might be ok with shockcord.

I wouldn't put it on the tarp's tie-outs, though, unless you can be sure that the shockcord won't be angled down towards the hammock. Otherwise, water can drip from the tarp to your hammock.

You could install center pulls on the inside of your tarp, though...seamseal the outside and it wouldn't matter what angle the shockcord had to the hammock.

Either way, it could decrease the amount of space inside your tarp. If that's a fair trade for more space inside the hammock, then go for it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I think it should work alright if your shock cord is stretchy enough.

Another solution may be to run the shock cord to the tent stake that is used to tie-out the tarp, rather than to the tarp's tie-out. This way you're using the same number of stakes, but aren't messing with the tarp's pitch at all.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Sclittlefield's idea should work fine. The the new ideas about tarp tensioners and cannery cuts are about keeping the tarp tensioned, so anything that influences the tarp tension in a negative way or added wear to the tarp might not be in your best interest.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    What a coincidence Opie as I was wondering the same thing as I fell asleep last night. Thanks for asking.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie
    From JRB UQ installation instructions:

5. If using a Hennessy hammock, pass the asymmetric corner tie-outs of the hammock through the loops on the side of the quilt. If you stake the corner tie-out to the ground, use the inner loop, If you tie-out to the tarp corner or a tree closer to the horizontal, use the outer loop. On cold nights don't stake the a-symmetric corners at all. Instead let the hammock and quilt envelop your body for additional warmth.

I noticed the other day and wondered about it. I have never tried it. I would think that the "pull out force" would need to exceed the "pull in force". Seems a bit dodgy to me - hey, give it a try and report back (you jump first)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Works fine. Use a shock cord loop on your hammock tie-out, then tie to the tarp tie-out connection. I make my tarps with asym tie-out points so they line up with the hammock tie-outs for just this purpose. As there is little or no variation in the distance between the hammock and the tarp from one set-up to the next, the shock cord takes care of it, and there's no need for a tautline hitch or other means of adjustment. The primary function of the shock cord is actually to handle movement of the hammock when getting in and out. I use a mitten hook to attach the hammock pullout to the tarp pullout point. The mitten hook gives another point of protection, because the plastic of the mitten hook will straighten out and come loose before the tarp tears or the tie-out line breaks. Yet it's strong enough to withstand winds blowing the tarp. It takes someone tripping on the tarp tie-out line (who, me?) to bend the mitten hook. The hook bends back into shape, so I would just re-attach it, if that were ever to happen.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will be thinking of how to best attach to both sides of the tarp. Might be a little while before I actually begin sewing this project though as I will be leaving town in the next few days for a week. But I will definitely post pictures and results.

BTW, my main concern was not to put any significant negative force on the tarp's pitch, but to gently pull the bugnetting away from my face so none of them crazy bugs could still bite me.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My thinking is shockcord to hammock, then a static line (mason line, zing-it, etc) of designated length to your tarp stake, leaving this line long for adjustability. Not all tarp setups are going to be the same, terrain, set-up height, etc. Then tie the static line to your stake, with a marlinspike hitch. Adding the mitten hook to the end of the static line to your shockcord end, would allow for easy undoing, ala BB (psst, his name is Brandon). That way you could drop the line out of the way, as needed.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast