How cold is cold?

I'm going to purchase a WBBB compatible UQ and splayed-open sleeping bag for less than 3 seasons. I don't anticipate temps below 30 deg. I'm a big guy and a very hot sleeper. But I intend to sleep bum-nekked (maybe a balaclava and socks in tow... don't, don't try picturing this). Of course, I am willing to clothe up in a freakish cold snap, but this would drastically affect the quality of my sleep. So, without clothing mostly through the mid-spring to early fall season, what sort of a temperature rating should I shoot for? 30? 20? 15? I know everyone's different, so just give me some ideas in your experience.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I would rather play it safe & get a warmer UQ. I believe having an UQ that is sometimes thicker than you really need is more forgiving than having to thick of a Top Quilt, because the UQ is on bottom.
    Therefore, I think having a nice warm UQ will give you a wider comfort range for only a small increase in weight & BULK.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i'm a warm sleeper...and i use a JRB Hudson river as my top quilt for the winter time...and that has a rating of around 30 degrees...and i had mine to 11 degrees....so it will be hard to say...best thing i can tell ya is go out and try out different setups...and find one that works...
    if your a warm sleeper i would say a 20 degree bag/quilt will be find for what you are asking...this way it gives you some leeway ...so if you get a temp drop lower then what you were told it would be you will be ok....

just my .02
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    epim00... 2nd post and your already talking neeked ???
    you are from new york.

note to self..do not buy used bb from epim00 in the future.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Gargoyle,

Yeah. Kinda inadvertently damned my WBBB resale value there.

Did I mention that I'm originally from California? That may better explain the nekked.

Nate.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by epim00 View Post
    I'm going to purchase a WBBB compatible UQ and splayed-open sleeping bag for less than 3 seasons. I don't anticipate temps below 30 deg. I'm a big guy and a very hot sleeper. But I intend to sleep bum-nekked (maybe a balaclava and socks in tow... don't, don't try picturing this). Of course, I am willing to clothe up in a freakish cold snap, but this would drastically affect the quality of my sleep. So, without clothing mostly through the mid-spring to early fall season, what sort of a temperature rating should I shoot for? 30? 20? 15? I know everyone's different, so just give me some ideas in your experience.

ok, I think I'm getting the picture.... no clothes..Right!!!

I've found that I need more insulation under than on top. More under insulation means for me that less needs to be over me. Also something else I've found is using a silk top sheet give me more insulation than what it feels like it would. Light weight silk = pretty good top insulation. I use the silk and a top summer down quilt. Until the temps get really hot then I just use the silk (I always use some kind of under quilt) You may just need a good under quilt with a top silk sheet.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    You know, if you get cold, you'll be more likely to need to make a trip to a tree in the middle of the night. I know you warned us, but I'm visualizing you hopping back to the hammock trying to stay warm in just your balaclava and socks.

This gives new meaning to free-spirited camping.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

• + New Posts