Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome Freth
    I am also Columbus (Gahanna), Nice to see OH folks popping up
    Plenty of Trees in OH, the weather was so nice Thursday I headed down to Hocking Hills for a one night hang - Lake Hope....

Yep. Love Geocaching too

Enjoy the ride, you will soon get the hang of it with all the help here at HF

cgul

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Welcom to the forum Freth! Your story sounds alot like mine. I aslo was getting interested in survival techniques and getting into the woods more. Then I came across Shugs tarp talk videos and the rest fell into place. Check out the Hoosier Hang threads. It's comin up soon and would be a good chance to see alot of setups and meet some people.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    Thank you for all the awesome replies. I appreciate it. Looks like I have a lot of friends close by and I didn't even know it.

This site is definitely chock-full of valuable information and knowledgeable people. It helped me make my gear decisions wisely. I've always researched thoroughly when buying new products, so it's almost second nature to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Yes, Hocking Hills is one of my favorites. I haven't been to Lake Hope, so I'll see about making that one of my destinations. I have been to the primitive camping near Old Man's Cave, but not much else. I've always visited the area purely for hiking and photography, multiple times a year.

I just received my WB BB hammock yesterday. My MacCat Ultra and Bushbuddy will be on the way in the coming week or so. I have an alcohol stove and plenty of Heet to keep me in the meantime. Part of me wanted to wait until I got all of my gear, but I suppose I can go out early and get my first hang in.

I'm definitely looking at UQ and TQ options, but it's spring and I probably won't need it til fall. It gives me enough time to get the $ together for it.

Yes, I'll definitely check out the Hoosier Hang. It's close and should be a lot of fun. Hopefully it doesn't coincide with any other plans already in place.

Awesome replies. Thank you all. I hope I've answered everyone.
    Last edited by Oscar-Blackeagle; 04-04-2010 at 13:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    I received my Warbonnet on Saturday. Waiting on my MacCat Ultra, which I've requested to be shipped so it arrives next week. I also have a Bushbuddy shipping out today. In all, here's my gear so far...

WB BB
    MacCat Ultra
    Penny Stove (alcohol) - AC Aircraft version
    Bushbuddy (wood)
    Snow Peak Titanium Multi-Compact Cook Set

I still have to flesh out the rest of my light-weight camping gear. I do have camping gear, but most of it isn't designed as light weight, so I need to upgrade a lot of it for backpacking. As stated before, I plan on getting the WB Black Mamba and Yeti eventually, probably by fall of this year. I may go for one of the prototypes. I'm also looking for a light backpack for weekend backpacking and/or up to 1 week. I also need a nice set of hiking shoes/boots.

I know there are bunches of threads for these items, and I'll continue my search, but I am open to suggestions.

As for the Hoosier Hang... I would love to attend, but I'm lacking the gear necessary to backpack (no backpack) to the camp site. That and I'll be on call the same weekend.

On another note... I've been interested in knots for some time. I own numerous books, including Ashley's Book of Knots, which my dog found tasty. lol I have been fiddling with different knots and have been reading up on the forums for hammock and camping needs. Grizz's videos on suspension are invaluable and I've been taking notes and practicing knot tying.

I'm getting closer to being able to go on my first hang. I thought about maybe hitting a local campground just to try out a few things and get comfortable with the system. If anyone in Ohio has some suggestions on good hanging spots (especially Central Ohio), please post them here.

That's my status. I will probably be slow to integrate into the community because 1) I don't have much to contribute, 2) I'm a quiet person. However, I do look forward to getting to know everyone over time. I want to thank everyone again for the warm welcome and kindness.
    Last edited by Oscar-Blackeagle; 04-06-2010 at 14:48.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    webbing to d-ring
    Welcome Freth. I too am new to the elevating camping. Recently picked up a hammock rig myself.

PS. Buckeyes are everywhere. Even in Connecticut!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Welcome! I can't even say "Freth from..." and it's a bit hard to read! I must be getting Perkinsons...

Freth, from where did your new preferences come? Sounds like you had a sudden life changing event...

BTW, I have never used a pad. I had a Hennessey Supershelter first, then underquilts. But listen to Pedro... he has a lot of good info in his head!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Welcome! I can't even say "Freth from..." and it's a bit hard to read! I must be getting Perkinsons...

Freth, from where did your new preferences come? Sounds like you had a sudden life changing event...

BTW, I have never used a pad. I had a Hennessey Supershelter first, then underquilts. But listen to Pedro... he has a lot of good info in his head!

- MacEntyre
    lol I apologize for the odd forum nickname. I think it's Nordic or something. I stole it from a friend's D&D character name. lol I suppose I should have something a little more woodsy, eh? My late father used to use "Hickory Nut" as a CB handle. Maybe I should take his example. I've been using Freth for ages on the internet. It's stuck with me, so I didn't think twice about using it. Might be time for a change though. Maybe I'll use my old milsim callsign instead. *shrug* We'll see.

The sudden change isn't as sudden as you think...

I've been visiting state parks and hiking since a child and I've never stopped doing that. I also combine it with digital photography--I love shooting nature and have a sizable photo collection from my outings. Whether it be via motorcycle or car, I always try to get to my favorite state parks multiple times a year to get in some hiking and photography.

In my early days (right out of high school) I used to tent camp and small camper camp (try saying that a few times) on the weekends with friends. Had a lot of fun with that; the guys out "roughing it". I remember playing D&D by lantern light and developing camping recipes. One fond memory: One night we settled in the tent for sleep and I kept complaining about a tree trunk in my back before we fell asleep. Woke up in the morning and was standing around the campfire ring. Suddenly my friend pulls an axe out from under the tent where I was sleeping. You can imagine the earful I gave him. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't put two and two together." I give him hell still today. On one of my last primitive camping trips it was so hot and miserable I ended the week early and came home to bask in the air conditioning. That soon changed...

I purchased my own 26' camper in 2006 and had it for a few years, camped a handful of times. Then I sold that to my father (rest his soul) who got good use out of it. That was the last of my camping trips. I mainly got tired of the amount of gear and preparation it took to go camping.

In 2004 I started getting into military simulation airsoft, which involved tactical training every weekend in the woods. I did that until 2009, learned all I could about squad tactics and movement. I was really passionate about it and accomplished a lot in a 5 year period. It was a turning point for me personally. It brought a whole new level of understanding about being in the woods and I came to enjoy it that much more. There's nothing like a good recon patrol in the woods with a seasoned squad. I earned a high rank on my team (2nd in command) and moved on to create my own team and teach squad tactics myself, which was very rewarding. I am still passionate about the knowledge and the training, even if I don't do it anymore. Chances are, if you see me at a hang I'll be wearing full military get-up. It's just so comfortable for me (points to avatar pic).

In the last year and a half, after the military simulation hobby ended and the economy took a downturn, I started watching survival shows and getting interested in learning survival techniques. I purchased books on plant life, bushcraft and survival. I started formulating plans to go back into the woods and experiment.

It wasn't until I purchased a Jeep Wrangler as a second vehicle (for fun) that I started seriously thinking about camping trips again. I started looking for tents and camping gear that would go well with a Jeep. I looked at roof-top tents, Jeep tents, etc... and stumbled upon HF. Suddenly it fell into place and I started thinking about how I hated to lug gear from my car to the campsite. Light backpacking and hammocking sounded perfect for the kind of camping and experimentation I was looking for.

So here I am. As you can see, it's been a long progression over a 20 year period of my life. I'm pushing 40 years old, but I feel like this is a new opportunity for me to find passions that get me out of the house instead of keeping me behind this computer (an unrelated store, but I'm a huge computer geek from the early 80's; programming, gaming, etc.), especially in the warm months of the year.

EDIT: I put in a request for a name change on the forum. I refreshed a few seconds later and my new nickname came up. Now that's what I call service!!! Thank you admin. You rock! My new name, Oscar-Blackeagle comes from my military simulation team. Oscar (phonetic for O) and Blackeagle, the team.
    Last edited by Oscar-Blackeagle; 04-06-2010 at 18:51.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Wow! You mean I can express my displeasure and names will be changed?

Hey, I am not comfortable with "Cannibal" for... uh, personal reasons, yeah, that's it! Mods, will you change it to "OnDonner", please?

Thanks for the explanation, Oscar! I want a Jeep!
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 04-06-2010 at 19:16.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, Oscar! I want a Jeep!
    Ever since before I had my driver's license I wanted a Jeep. It's taken me 20 years to get around to getting one. I have no regrets. It might be a used Jeep, but it's my Jeep.

As for name changes, I think this one fits a lot better. Thanks for the nudge. Good luck with those other names. hehe

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy Oscar-Blackeagle .... your really getting out-fitted and into this. Terrific.
    Happy backpacking to you .... and that gear will serve you well.
    Shugh
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast