Best options for *long* term sleeping in a hammock.

I moved to Colorado and live in the wilderness and considering sleeping outside very night.

I really like the fresh air and think it will help my insomnia and the sun coming up every night will enforce a good sleep schedule.

What would you think would be a good setup for long term? (not just ultralight)

I have a warbonnet blackbird with an UQ and a full-length UQ too...

I've just sort of noticed that it's a pain to get in and out of when I'm actually camping as it's more focused on ultralight.

Here's what I think I need to make this more realistic long term:

- ability to take the tarp on/off so that I can sleep out under the stars when it's actually a nice night but pull it on if it's going to rain.

- maybe a camp chair so I'm not always having to stay in the hammock

- some way to hang gear on the tree - maybe via caribiners.

Would love your thoughts... I think I'm going to buy an initial setup at REI and test it out since they have a good return policy.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    burtonator, It’s a grand idea - sleeping out every night. But you might not be in Colorado if you have the sun coming up at night. I certainly make typos too, on my first (second and third) post before I go back and edit.

it can get mighty cold at Colorado elevations so your winter gear will definitely be different from what you use in the milder seasons. And a tarp does more than block the rain.

I’m puzzled about your question on a way to hang gear on a tree. How were you hanging your blackbird before?

But first things first - What about your BlackBird makes it a pain to get in and out of? It is too high, too low, too much sag, etc.? What were you using for a tarp then?

Tell us a little more about your experience camping in general and camping in a hammock specifically. And describe this “sleep in the wilderness every night” situation. Will you be, for lack of a better term, “homeless”? I sounds like your environment will not be hanging out in the backyard of a home.

To answer your initial question with information given. The BlackBird is a fine camping hammock and paired with adequate Top Quilt (TQ), and UnderQuilt (UQ) - either ¾ or full - you could be comfortable for many - BUT NOT ALL - nights of the year.

So let’s figure out what the problem with it is, and go from there.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-08-2020 at 13:06.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    I moved to Colorado and live in the wilderness and considering sleeping outside very night.
    - ability to take the tarp on/off so that I can sleep out under the stars when it's actually a nice night but pull it on if it's going to rain.
    - maybe a camp chair so I'm not always having to stay in the hammock
    Would love your thoughts... I think I'm going to buy an initial setup at REI and test it out since they have a good return policy.
    Colorado is great. I just came back from a nice rainy weekend camp. You did not specify what your outside looks like, but for the tarp I would recommend a set of tarp skins. If you are sleeping in the same place you can leave your stakes wherever they need to be and just slide it open when you need it.
    If your ground is firm enough, the Helinox Zero is quite comfortable though expensive if you are in a fixed area you don't need to hike into. I still don't like how low to the ground it is but it has worked well for me if I can get something firm under the legs.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Try out different sizes and styles hammocks to find your comfort zone. I agree with Otty1 a snakeskin is a good way to keep your tarp ready to deploy while stargazing—just in case it starts to rain.
    A spare tree strap or two would be great to hang your pack and spare gear using carabiners.
    Good idea to cover your pack with plastic bags or custom pack covers.
    Good luck!

• + New Posts