Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot

Making my own tarp

Hey everyone! I've decided to make a tarp to replace the tiny stock HH one, and I'm considering using Tyvek. It's only $1.75 per linear foot available in 7'-9' widths on ebay. I've read the "Definitive Tyvek" article and feel Tyvek will probably work for me until I can afford to replace it with a silnylon tarp. I'm thinking of making either a BlackCat (WhiteCat in this case?) or a 7x7 diamond. I'm leaning towards the diamond, it's just simpler to make.

I'm trying to figure out how much material to buy for the 7x7. I could just get exactly that much, but it will shrink a little if I wash it (I assume that rain would eventually do the same thing) so I wonder whether I should buy a larger amount to allow for this. I think it would still cover my hammock just fine (Hennessy Scout). The ridgeline is 10' before shrinking it would still be over 9' afterwards. The hammock is a little over 8', so is that still enough to give me good coverage end to end? If the 7' width will be enough I would rather get it since it is not printed on either side.

I'm planning on using tie outs instead of grommets. I have some old backpacks I can steal webbing off of, and I'm wondering if that will work okay.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think Henry Shire's site says to allow 5% for shrinkage of Tyvek after washing. A Tyvek tarp has been on my DIY list for a while. I haven't gotten around to making one yet. If I were you, I would buy extra material just in case.

I am thinking that I am going to use Tyvek Tape to reinforce the edges of my tarp when I make it. Be sure to read the sewing instructions listed in the Tyvek article. Sewing can make the HomeWrap Tyvek easy to tear and tarp tie outs have a lot of tension on them. I am leaning toward leaving extra material on the ends on the Tyvek tarp and then tying the guy lines on the tarp with something like a sheet bend knot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I cut my tyvek to the size that I need it, and then a lot of times I just put a small rock in the tyvek and put my cord around it to hang it up. That has always been the simplest way for me, and I have had no problems yet. My neighbot got me a huge 10' or 12' roll, so I have lots to experiment with
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Mirage's site shows a 9x11 cat cut Tyvek tarp. He did sew his. You make take a look.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    If I used a sheet bend, I wouldn't have to sew anything that I can think of. I suppose that this may be the way to go.

Assuming I lose 5% from washing, a 9x9 would give me a 12' ridgeline, 8x8 a 10' 9" ridgeline, and 7x7 a 9' 5" ridgeline. Even the 7x7 gives me a half foot over the end of the hammock on each end. That would probably work fine. If it doesn't work out, it's a lot cheaper of a mistake than if I made it working with silnylon.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Start big, and then work small. You can always make smaller, never bigger
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Good point Preacha. Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I would also check construction sites and home building site for scrap Tyvek before buying on Ebay. They will often give you pieces big enough for what you need. I got almost an entire roll that way, for free. I also think the Tyvek used in contruction is 10' wide so that would give that extra material to work with.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    It's 9' according to my father. He used to work at a hardware store. It may have changed to 10' since he stopped working there, but judging by the fact that the ebay'ers are selling 9' I think it still is. It does give me the extra though.

I have been looking around for construction sites using it, but so far have come up with nothing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I just measured my roll and it is 9', sorry for the exageration, I thought it was longer.

Jack Rabbit, if all you need is a 9X9, maybe we could work something out and save you some money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast