Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing circular pull out

I am making my first tarp. Adding pullouts 18" from ridgeline, 28" from edges on a 11'x11' tarp. I will be using 3 layers of silnylon on the inside as the patch. Patches are 6" in diameter 2 per side.

Have searched here and can't find any pictures or advice on exactly how to sew the patches on. Do you just sew around the perimeter of the patch and then sew the grograin to the outside with a boxstitch? Do you sew the perimeter of the patch and then "X" the center? Other ideas? Pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Images
    i put patch on inside and sew perimeter, then sew pull tab onto outside with box stitch. probably would be alot easier to use one layer of appropriate thickness for the patches rather than 3 layers thick, but if you're trying to just use what you have then 3 layers sounds about right

good luck, those things are really fun to sew

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    I would....

1. Lay 3 layers of material down on a plate or surface that won't burn.
    2. Find a glass or ceramic drinking glass or cup of appropriate size as a template.
    3. Pull fabric fairly taught then apply pressure to the glass to hold it down.
    4. Use a soldering iron or heated knife to cut/melt out the 3 layer circles.

-This will weld all 3 layers together and make it easier.

As far as the stitching, I would do what warbonnetguy suggested.

I did a diamond pattern patch. I criss-crossed GG to achieve an even pull and it worked well. (pic before I trimmed excess thread)

I placed mine 30" from ridge-line and 42" from outside (head & foot) to facilitate closing my wings.

-Skookum
    Last edited by Skookum; 03-26-2010 at 21:07.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I put circular patches on my pull outs. I used some spray fabric adhesive to help hold the patch from slipping. It provide some stick to keep the fabric on the sil.
    I mounted the location of the pull out in a sewing hoop to hold the fabric flat while sewing the patch onto the tarp. The hoop help manage the tarp as I turned it to sew the circle.
    I tried to get my wife to sew a circle on her electronic embroidery machine but did not have much luck and did not press the issue.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I put circular patches on my pull outs. I used some spray fabric adhesive to help hold the patch from slipping. It provide some stick to keep the fabric on the sil.
    I mounted the location of the pull out in a sewing hoop to hold the fabric flat while sewing the patch onto the tarp. The hoop help manage the tarp as I turned it to sew the circle.
    I tried to get my wife to sew a circle on her electronic embroidery machine but did not have much luck and did not press the issue.
    I did much the same thing. Be careful of the adhesives. I used an embroidery tacking 'glue'. Try to use as little as possible and tack where you will not be stitching or the needle will pick it up with each stitch causing a mess down the line and a lengthy cleanup of your machine. As you will be passing lots of material through the machine, I found that pre-winding the hoop by turning it 360 in the opposite direction before starting to sew made things much easier. Instead of fighting the fabric, which will be bunching up, you just let it unwind and release from a place of tension. Good luck!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

If you are a member of backpackinglight.com you should check out the latest DIY article on laminating pullouts onto silnylon. It's a super easy process that involves no stitching and provides a nice strong pullout.

The jist of it is, you cut a circle out of your spare sil, and sew your webbing on for your pullout. Then get some thin cardboard (I used a cereal box) and cut a hole out of it the same diameter as your pullout. Lay the cardboard jig on your tarp where you want the pullout to be and spread a thin layer of silicone glue. Then place your pullout on and weight it down for 24 hours to let it adhere completely.

There's a little more to it than that, but that's the basic idea. It works great.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    Could you use pull out material on the inside(nylon webbing) for additional strength rather that extra nylon, or have you guys all used extra pieces of nylon for the reinforcements? Due to weight possibly?

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    If you are a member of backpackinglight.com you should check out the latest DIY article on laminating pullouts onto silnylon. It's a super easy process that involves no stitching and provides a nice strong pullout.

The jist of it is, you cut a circle out of your spare sil, and sew your webbing on for your pullout. Then get some thin cardboard (I used a cereal box) and cut a hole out of it the same diameter as your pullout. Lay the cardboard jig on your tarp where you want the pullout to be and spread a thin layer of silicone glue. Then place your pullout on and weight it down for 24 hours to let it adhere completely.

There's a little more to it than that, but that's the basic idea. It works great.
    I'd like to hear more about this. What more is there to it?

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sotaram View Post
    Could you use pull out material on the inside(nylon webbing) for additional strength rather that extra nylon, or have you guys all used extra pieces of nylon for the reinforcements? Due to weight possibly?
    The reinforcement fabric is for more surface area for force distribution across the tarp. The webbing would probably weigh more, but I bet a decent size piece should work. Just make sure that the stitching is sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this. What more is there to it?
    Well, let's see...The type of silicone you use is probably important. The suggested adhesive in the article was GE Silicone II (clear), that's what I used and it has worked real well. You can get it at most hardware stores.

The other big thing is in regards to how you weight the pullout down while it's drying. Since your pullout has a loop of webbing sticking out of the middle, if you just put a weight on top of it some parts of the circle of fabric wouldn't get pressed on. So, you need to cut out another circle, either from cardboard or styrofoam, or similar, with a slit in the middle to pull the webbing through. By pulling the webbing through a slit like this you can place your weight on the cardboard or styrofoam without creating any unweighted areas.

The last thing I can think of, is that you should probably throw down some wax paper to keep anything from sticking that you didn't want to stick. So, after you put the pullout down, throw some wax paper on above it, then your cardboard/foam, then your weight.

That's about all I got. Make sense?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast