DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

quick question on best use of length

I'm a newbie and am jumping in DIY right off the bat. I'm no stranger to a sewing maching, plus my wife went to fashion design school, so that's no issue. :-) Just a quick question on length and use of materials ...

I got 4 yards of ripstop from Joann's. I don't think I need a hammock that long, so I'm gonna cut some of it off, to use to make a blackbishop style stuff sack for storage. The question I have is how big a stuff sack should I need, to store a single layer hammock, suspension, and eventually the bugnet sock that I'm gonna make (I don't ever forsee camping in a place that I won't need bug protection, so it'll be DIY project number 2)? Should I cut the materials down to 11ft for the hammock body and 1 foot for the stuff sack, or should I go shorter on the hammock, and give myself more leftover material to play with stuff sacks, tubes, etc? Not that material is much of a concern, in the long run. It was cheap enough that I can go get more, so if someone says "no, a 12' hammock is perfect!" that won't throw much of a wrench in my plans either.

I'm 6'2" or so, around 205 lbs. So I figure at least a 10 foot hammock body, pre-whipping, is a good start, but I have the material to go longer.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Check this out ..... it has all the info you will need ... to a point!
    JustJeff's Hammock Site
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm 5'10" 165lbs. The most comfortable hammock I have is a DIY with an 11' pre-whip body. My 10' hammocks are nice as well, but this 11' one is spectacular.

As for stuff sack size, with all that stuff you want in it, my first guess (and guess it is) is a 12"x18" will be plenty sufficient (that's cut size - pre sewing/hemming/drawcord channel, etc)

Be sure to post pictures!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm 6'2" 185#. The hammocks I'm making and like are 11'6" of raw fabric and finish just over 11'. Long is good.

If you're interested...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I'm 5'8 and 170, my DIY is 11'6" flat, and varies depending on how tight I hang it, I sure wouldn't want it shorter.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The size of the hammock is a lot more important than the size of the stuff bag. How about making a quick gathered end hammock with the full 12 ft. to try out? You could always untie it and shorten it; in fact, you could gather and tie it at 11 ft without cutting off the excess, and lengthen if necessary.

"I cut it twice, and it's still too short!" - one of the 3 Stooges, I think.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    your height + 2 feet, isn't it? or was it 2 feet each end? I'm a short person but I know a hammock is best long and saggy.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    You know what I do to make stuff sacks is--first make all the stuff I want in the stuff sack, then stuff it in a grocery bag or trash bag or whatever to the volume I want it, then measure that volume--of course once you have the volume you can change individual measurements (Length, Width, Height) as you want to keep it the same.

But yeah, better to make the hammock a little too long than a little too short.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Part of the question was my curiosity about stuff sack sizes, and I think I'm gonna have to play with that a little. But after reading new and old posts, looking at everything, watching all the beginner videos, gear reviews, etc. - I definitely think there's something to be said for knowing TOO much right off the bat. So you have that moment right after you've laid the fabric on the floor, but right before you pick up the scissors, where you go "well X said this length is best, but Y said that instead, and Z's formula says - but he didn't do the test that this guy did, and ..."

Guess I was just looking for a last chance for someone to say "No, idiot, that's WAY too big/small/round/flat/whatever". In the end, I cut the nylon to 11', and went from there. Heck, if it's too short, that means I'll have to make more.

As soon as my suspension pieces come in the mail, I'll get it set up and post pics.

Thanks again for the wealth of info you all are, and your willingness to share it. Not just in this thread, but the forum in general!

• + New Posts