Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue

Nattering Nabob from Naptown

Good morning everyone,

I grew up traveling, camping and scouting a lot. After I finished my enlistment in the Army, I went on a backpacking trip using my old army gear and my feet felt like hamburger. I swore never to carry that much weight again. Over the next ten years I had slowly updated my gear to lighten my base pack weight and create a style of camping that I enjoyed. I had finally reached a base pack weight of between 9 - 10lbs depending on the weather/time of year.

With a wife and two kids under three, I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I would like. I primarily do quick two or three day weekend trips, sometimes by myself. I don't know too many people who like to go out and backpack like I do. I've been a ground dweller my whole life and have only just taken my first trip trying a hammock. I was picking up dinner for the family and had 15 minutes to kill and saw a fabric store. I bought four yards of ripstop and took it to work with me the next day. In less than 20 minutes I had my hammock and a basic polypro strap suspension with a 550 cord RL. I set it up in my back yard that night and was so impressed with it's function and comfort that I obtained an appropriate tarp and took it on a trip that weekend. It was a huge success and I am now hooked on tweaking this system to be lighter and function better.

I look forward to talking about gear, techniques, and trips with you guys. From my short time on these forums, it looks to be full of great, generous, knowledgeable people.

FYI, the name Stay Puft stems from my dyneema back pack, which is pure white and looks like a giant marshmallow on my back.

Stay Puft
    Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    StayPuft:
    Welcome to HF. You have made it!!!!! There is so much information to learn and the people that it comes from are always willing to help! Good luck in your tweeking of gear, its the most addictive part of all of this, I think!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Big hardy NC welcome to you ... enjoy the ride!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome Stay Puft ... you have found a great place to hang....
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    DIY GE, Bridge, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue

A tinker at heart.

You're right, there is a lot of great information here. I've already been incorporating a lot of improvements that I see here on my own setup. Trust me, my setup is the bare bones simple. I think I was very lucky to get such a good nights sleep on my first try. I've since played around with fabric dimensions, RL lengths, and have replaced the suspension with my own compression line. I think I've ended up reverting to my original fabric and RL lengths.

I can definitely see the advantage of going on a group hang and seeing other people's setup and find out if some options might work for myself. I'm a sales engineer, so I love tinkering and problem solving. This looks like hammock design is going to be my new hobby for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    StayPuft:
    Welcome to HF. You have made it!!!!! There is so much information to learn and the people that it comes from are always willing to help! Good luck in your tweeking of gear, its the most addictive part of all of this, I think!

Welcome to HF Stay Puft! There is definitely alot of info on here for many to learn from, congrats on the DIY hammock seems like you caught the bug!

CB

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Welcome to the forums and be sure to check out the forum on the Hoosier Hang - April 16-18.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Welcome, from Indiana...

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    DIY GE, Bridge, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    I saw that, and it looks like a great opportunity to meet those that are relatively local. I am doing a charity event that weekend, but I'm trying to see if I can't get up real early that Saturday and hike in and do a quick meet of everyone and then hike out in time for the event that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    Welcome to the forums and be sure to check out the forum on the Hoosier Hang - April 16-18.

• + New Posts