Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow there are alot of replys and all of them require way too much work just did the hole two feet chunk the concrete in it. I mixed water and concrete in the post hole. No big deal I have two hammocks from the near year round. When its not holding my backpack hammock I hang my family big cotton braided hammock it had 6 kids in it.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    A good idea I read here was to sink a large diameter pipe in the ground at or slightly below grade level then use the next size down as your uprights. The posts can be removed to cut the grass.
    Like a big buried "U"? Not a bad idea. Went back and read again I see what ya mean now. That sounds cool, removable.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I set a 4x4 post, but hit bedrock at 2.5 feet, so I used a bag of sakrete to backfill, but it didn't seem very steady, so I guyed it down to the ground. Worked okay. Later a tree fell down, and I decided to move the post. It was way too easy to get it out of the ground. My conclusion: dig 4 feet, not for frost heaves, just for safety. Consider a top beam. Take OG's advice about gravel backfill.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I planted a 3 foot length of 3 inch PVC in a 60 lb bag of cement. Now I can drop an 8 foot fence post in to hang, and pull the post out to mow. Added a threaded fitting to the end of the PVC so I can screw a cap onto it. Took half an hour from start to finish. Didn't even have to put water into the mix since the hole was wet already.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    I planted a 3 foot length of 3 inch PVC in a 60 lb bag of cement. Now I can drop an 8 foot fence post in to hang, and pull the post out to mow. Added a threaded fitting to the end of the PVC so I can screw a cap onto it. Took half an hour from start to finish. Didn't even have to put water into the mix since the hole was wet already.
    I am diggin this idea Oldman! It can double as a teatherball pole.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    RE: The Crossbeam

I use the metal "pipe" top-rail that is used for chain link fence...............
    I hung for a couple of years from 2x4s, with the wide part towards the hammock, with no problems. The top chain link style fence rail took all the load. I had a couple joined together and cut down for 15 feet of length, and they would were a bit flexible under load, risky at the joint. So I gad a shorter piece of slightly larger diameter fence post (upright?) around the 1st "pipe". It was bomb proof. If I grabbed one of the 2x4s and pulled, I could flex the 2x4s a few inches. But when I got in the hammock, neither 2x4 flexed at all as far as I could tell. Strength/support at ground level was minimal, mainly just serving to hold things upright until I got in. It was all dependent on the fence rail top cross post.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I hung for a couple of years from 2x4s, with the wide part towards the hammock, with no problems. The top chain link style fence rail took all the load. I had a couple joined together and cut down for 15 feet of length, and they would were a bit flexible under load, risky at the joint. So I gad a shorter piece of slightly larger diameter fence post (upright?) around the 1st "pipe". It was bomb proof.
    Good idea w/that larger dia. "post" on the top rail. I have a buddy who owns a muffler shop & my "Grand Plan" is to make a totally portable stand using exhaust pipe - same or heavier gauge as chain link stuff. Swedged (crimped) ends that all fit into each other. Welded tripod base. Bend an elbow to slip into uprights and hold the top rail. I might even get around to painting it

Not camp - maybe bright orange 'cause it w/be for those places without trees and I might be worried about a car hitting it

OH! Burying the plastic pipe with a THREADED cap is a great idea!

Thanks for all the ideas on this Thread! I hate going somewhere and finding I can't camp near any trees.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12