Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

Thermolite 2 bivvy sack by adventure med

I tried to use this instead of a sleeping bag to see how warm it keeps you.

This post was prompted by roadtorques suggestion of what to use as insulation in the summer.

Road torque mentioned the idea of using just a silk bag liner and carrying the bivvy for emergencies. I tried this combination out but since it is not summer (it was 44 degrees) I thought should start a new thread rather than hijack the other one which I still hope gives more ideas of light summer top insulation ideas.

In any case, I was doubtful that it would work. I used my hudson river as bottom insulation and first just tried the silk liner alone....not a chance!

So I added the Adventure medical kits thermolite 2 bivvy and then fell asleep promptly. It was 46 when i fell asleep and 44 when I awoke. I was warm. I did not want to get up. I forced myself because I wanted to compare it my REI 55 degree rated bag that I usually use in summer. I noticed when I took off the bivvy and the silk that I was actually sweating on my legs. This of course made me immediately cold as well. THe REI sack did not warm me up....it might have but I had no patience so I added the silk right away. I still did not warm up quickly so I replaced the bivvy as a top cover (not getting in or even tucking it around me just loosely laying across the top of the travel sack) temporarily thinking I will remove it once I'm warm and see if I stay warm at that point but...i fell asleep again hehe.

silk liner weight 4 5/8 0z 55 dollars size of of frozen lemonade can

thermolite bivy weight 7 1/4 oz I bought used for 15 dollars size of nalgene bottle

rei 55 travel sack weight 1lb 10 1/2 oz paid 49 for it 10 years ago size of nerf football but compresses to sizer of softball

so.....in terms of functional usage and low weight....I am now a believer that the key here was the thermolite bivvy even to the mid 40's.

the travel sack is not worth its weight in functional usage it seems but it is comfortable and better built than the bivvy which seems is almost a limited use item in its almost disposable type construction.

It seems much more effective per ounce than the silk but the silk helped and is comfortable and packs very small so it has a role.

A good sleeping bag is more durable. You could probably use the thermolite till it shreds and then just buy a new one though and you don't have to worry about your down or expensive investment.

Also about my legs sweating. I know that means I was warm which is great, with no bag and just a silk liner. I don't know what that means in terms of "breathability" of the bivvy, but I can tell you that when I use a bag that is overrated for the temp, I sweat in the past too, so I can't say this is a fault of the bag but could just be a sign of its effectiveness.

Just some observations on an inexpensive piece of gear.....

cooldays

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for this post, I was curious how the Thermolite would do with a liner...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Hennessy asym
    Insulation
    underpad system
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    I tried using a emergency blanket/sleeping bag (one of those relfective things, but sewn into a bag) along with a light weight travel blanket. Both packed down to soup can size. I also had the underlayer for the Hennessey a-sym hammock. One night it got down to 32 and it was a frozen hell. The bag held in moisture, too, which didn't help. Other nights in the 50s I was fine. I just hate hiking with the bulk of a sleeping bag on my pack (if I can help it).
    http://LAKETREK.Blogspot.com

I would rate the med adv bivy II at more like 55df. Still okay for summer, but I like something breathable for summer. I do think its good to carry along as a vapor barrier/emery extender for winter.

I modified mine so it will open completely up, or I can close the sides and open up the foot area fully. I can also open it completely up.

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have a Marmot Trestles Trails for summer use. I use it in top quilt mode very comfortably. The Cool Max liner breaths great with the nylon shell. Its heavy though at nearly 2lbs! I think a great substitute would be to get the jacks to sew a nylon shell on their 100 weight fleece top quilt liner.

Hammock
    Education
    Insulation
    United Kingdom

Help for translation.

I'm reading many of Your posts here. Unfortunately I can only read (and write) english with a translator. Do You plan to ad an automatic translation to the forum?
    Last edited by HensyJoHun; 04-01-2010 at 08:03.
    Veni Vidi Vinci.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by HensyJoHun View Post
    I'm reading many of Your posts here. Unfortunately I can only read (and write) english with a translator. Do You plan to ad an automatic translation to the forum?
    HJH: one of the dangers of this forum is that many of the posters do not speak proper English as they are from the United States. Automatic translation will be added as soon as the forum moderators are available. They are busy completing their working prototype of the levitating hammock, which allows for a true "no-tree" hang in desert or other treeless areas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for carrying out that test. Gives me some good information, and hope that it will work. I had a feeling that breath-ability would be an issue with the bivvy. Overall I dont think you can beat the weight

Hammock
    Education
    Insulation
    United Kingdom

Help for translation.

Veni Vidi Vinci.

Hammock
    Education
    Insulation
    United Kingdom

Help for translation.

I've found the tool for translating the posts from english to german (I can read only german and use a traslator to write). I use the babelfish now and It works good.
    Veni Vidi Vinci.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast