Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Newbe to Hanging - Piecing Together a Hammock

I have been backpacking for a couple years now and have always taken a tent. I have wrapped myself up in a tarp before too, like a bivy, but I didn't like that. In a pinch it will work, but not functional especially on the edge of a rock cliff with 20mph winds and sand....

In any event, I would like to add a hammock to my lineup. I have had several people now reccomend the Warbonnet's. What say all?

I know this wouldn't be an ideal set up, but I would like the ability to pitch with trekking poles. I have been in a couple areas where there was nothing to tie a hammock to (much less a bear bag). If I could tie up a ridge line between my trekking poles to support a tarp and bug net that would be sufficient. Comments?

The Warbonnet optional sides/doors to their tarps look like an ideal accessory. That was another of my concerns with the way I have seen most hammock set ups - rain can get in along the ridgeline in front and back.

This is also my first post, so hi all!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    KC, welcome to the forum. Wise choice in the warbonnet line. All excellent products from Brandon.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Warbonnet Blackbird is a great hammock, though trekking poles will NOT be sufficiently strong to hang one. They work well for supporting a tarp in porch mode, however. The "rule of thumb" is a 4" tree for any hammock because the loads are substantial. In my experience, less, and the tree is bending from the weight and really screws up getting a taut tarp pitch.

There are a few threads about treeless hanging, but for backpacking, the weight of the treeless "solutions" borders on ridiculous.

Welcome the forums, though. You'll find a LOT of information here. It's worth spending some time poking through posts.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    The Warbonnet Blackbird is a great hammock, though trekking poles will NOT be sufficiently strong to hang one. They work well for supporting a tarp in porch mode, however.
    I guess I should have been a bit more specific - I didn't mean to "hang" the hammock from the trekking poles, just use them as a support to hang the tarp and hold the netting up on a ridge line while on the ground.

Also, on a different topic, have any of you had issues with rain and getting wet with a normal hex tarp?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Welcome Steve! Heck yeah a WB would be sweet! Wish I had one. What part of Ohio? Dayton area here.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Welcome to HF KC!!

CB

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Welcome Steve! Heck yeah a WB would be sweet! Wish I had one. What part of Ohio? Dayton area here.
    Thanks for the welcomes.

Mike - I know exactly where Kettering is. I grew up in Centerville - if you know where Mad River and 48 is I wasn't too far south west of there. I went to Sinclair Community College for 2 years, then transfered to OSU. I am in the central part of the state now. I will be back in Centerville for Sat night/Sunday though.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    treking poles work fine as "tent poles" for ground pitching- good pictures on Black Bishop's black cat tarp page http://www.teamgunnparker.com/blackc...#_Toc173479851 (scroll down a bit)

Also: remember that you'll need to purchase/adapt/make the different components of a hammocking system, you start with the hammock (BB is a popular choice) and you'll need a tarp (maybe you'd like a rectangle one?) and of course insulation. a closed cell foam pad kind of works, a sleeping bag is great, but many go for an underquilt of some description.

I reckon Just Jeff's pages on hammock camping (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html) are required reading.. particularly "staying warm" and "staying dry".

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I had a ULBA - sold it and got a Blackbird. The dimensions may be similar but the Blackbird is much more comfortable and the side zip is really nice. I got tired of the velcro exit and the suspension. Rather than modding the $%^& out of the hammock it was easier to get something with all the features I wanted. Using a pad is lots easier in a double layer than in the Hennessy. And now that I have the shelf, it would be difficult to live without it.

Economical sometimes means getting the right thing the first time. I immediately swapped the HH tarp for something else, and went into an ongoing evolution of gear to dial it in. The Blackbird was not around when I first went looking or I might not have been selling and re-buying.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Well it sounds like the Warbonnet Blackbird is the way to go. I got the same story over on the Backpacker forums as you Lori .

Now.. the rest of the package. I am looking at the Superfly tarp because of its size/price. Any comments? I have never had anything made from the Spinn material.

Line/strap or webbing suspension?

Other than insulation, is there anything else I need?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast