Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Plus i've always been under the impression that the hammocks were always more for hiking than car camping. A hammock is a light solution to comfortable sleeping which is perfect for hikers and leave no trace people, but when weight is not an issue it's probably more effective to stick to a large tent.

When the word mainstream is used in this thread I don't think it's such as: "hey kids let's go to wal-mart and pick up some hammocks to "rough it" at a campground, but more like people who predominantly buy north face gear and drive hybrids...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i think we'll be seeing hammock stands for 2 or more hammocks sooner or later... commercially available that is.
    i can easily see mom & dad side by side on a double hammock stand & the kids on an expandable hammock stand, made to support 2-5 hammocks.
    all this in a cabin style tent w/ a divider between the two rooms for kids & adults.
    they already make tents that big, we just need hammock stands that are user friendly enough to not take the fun out of it (no pipe wrenches please)<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I am the lone hammocker in my area. I was thinking of going to a hammock get together so I knew there were "others". I am new here ( is there a place to go to introduce yourself?). Liam aka tanpuma

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1&quot;poly webbing
    Images
    Welcome Tanpuma,
    There are always campouts being planned around. You might have to travel a bit, but look around the site and see when the next "hang" will be.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    We're still "special" however you cut it. Hammocks may have moved from "cult" to "niche" but they're still a ways from "generally accepted."

Consider the following list of companies:

Big Agnes
    Black Diamond
    Eureka!
    MSR
    Sierra Designs
    The North Face

When you see a few of these 6 companies producing a camping hammock and it actually makes the Backbreaker magazine annual gear guide then you can say we no longer have to ride the short bus.

As it now stands makers of hammocks and accessories are supporting players, who may have graduated from cottage industry to niche manufacturer but are still the tiniest blip on the market radar. Hanging is still pointed to as evidence of being "eccentric" or "quirky." When the mainstream press starts referring to us as "cutting edge" or "early adopters" then you'll know the wave has broken.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I bet I could use a JRB Tarptent with my hammock stand with hardly any modification. Or with a big cabin tent, the hammock stand would fit inside.

I've been thinking that, when we get an RV around retirement time, I'm gonna screw some swing-out brackets into the side for a ready-made hammock stand.

I agree with seuss - the numbers are growing but the big manufacturers aren't carrying them yet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    We're still "special" however you cut it. Hammocks may have moved from "cult" to "niche" but they're still a ways from "generally accepted."

Consider the following list of companies:

Big Agnes
    Black Diamond
    Eureka!
    MSR
    Sierra Designs
    The North Face

When you see a few of these 6 companies producing a camping hammock and it actually makes the Backbreaker magazine annual gear guide then you can say we no longer have to ride the short bus.

As it now stands makers of hammocks and accessories are supporting players, who may have graduated from cottage industry to niche manufacturer but are still the tiniest blip on the market radar. Hanging is still pointed to as evidence of being "eccentric" or "quirky." When the mainstream press starts referring to us as "cutting edge" or "early adopters" then you'll know the wave has broken.
    Personally I'd just as soon the "big names" completely miss the hammock trend and I wouldn't mind if they never sold a hammock

That way, the small companies, even Hennessy, will get bigger slices of a bigger pie and will be rewarded for being there when it wasn't the "next big thing".

I like being able to call the manufacturer and talking to a real human being instead of listening to some crazy rock band for an interminable period. I'm the customer and my time is just as valuable to me as theirs is to them.

I know, I know, if the small get big, then they use the rock bands also, but until then I'll enjoy what we have.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I've been thinking that, when we get an RV around retirement time, I'm gonna screw some swing-out brackets into the side for a ready-made hammock stand.

Man that AF retirement sounds pretty good if you'll be able to afford gas at a gazillion $ per gallon

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Heh - well, the retirement will pay enough for me to hike. I'll have to get another job when it's time to buy the RV, I reckon...and since that's the only way the wife will come along, I'll have to figure out a way to pay for gas! As long as I have a place for my hammock.

Or maybe I should tell her, "It's YOUR RV...I didn't even WANT the thing...so YOU pay for the gas!" Or maybe not...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1&quot;poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Or maybe I should tell her, "It's YOUR RV...I didn't even WANT the thing...so YOU pay for the gas!" Or maybe not...
    I wonder how long you would have to wait at the end of the trail for her to pick you up after you said that
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast