Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Are we no longer “special”?

Are we no longer “special”?

At traildays this year (07) I walked through the campgrounds counting hammocks, I counted 25 counting 1 that left Friday PM & 1 that left Sat PM. I counted just before the Billville “useless gear” contest started.
    I know of at least 8 converted to “the way” @ TD, AND it seems to me, the membership here & on Ed’s site is growing rather briskly.
    I do not “Preach” but if asked, I will expound the benefits. I did show my work partner the campsite selection benefits @ RRG a few weekends ago. The West part of the Osborne loop trail has almost NO tent campsites till you get about 1 mile from the road, I had no problem, Matt & his nephew had to look & look & look (etc), I finally got tired & set up camp, they went another ½ - ¾ mile & found a sloping but “Ok” site. There is an ENO w tarp & netting in Sportsman’s guide for under $200.00 & a Hennesy for about the same price, so he is looking. I may have also converted his 16 YO nephew

So, after all the above chatter: does anyone else think we hangers are growing at a phenomenal rate? Well, maybe not a phenomenal rate, but rather quickly nevertheless. Seems to me that only a few years ago someone (don’t know who, can’t find it) on White Blaze said that “I’d be surprised if we got to 5%” I nodded my head & thought that seemed right, now I’m not so sure we won’t pass that by quite a lot, & soon.

I am glad, but in a way I am sad, I liked being “Special”. But, if you have a good thing, share. I’m going to push Matt over the edge, going to loan him my spare hammock over the weekend to try a night in the air. I am soooo bad.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    From the perspective of one of the converts you speak of at TD; I think the ground dwellers are trying to swallow all the crow they've been spewing about hangers for a lot of years.

I used to think they (hangers) were crazy when I was hiking in Colorado. "Special" was often replaced by "Freak". But, how long can you knock something that makes so much sense. I laugh about how ignorant I was of this "movement", but you only have to try it once to get hooked.

Everybody here can blame Rockstar, Hammock Engineer, Doctari, and Ghost93 for me being here. Rockstar told me about HF on WB; Ghost93 was the first hanger to speak to me at TD; Doctari took me to the hanging area to show me some set-ups; and HE sold me my first real hammock.

It's going to be awfully difficult to stay a "cult" when you have so many ambassadors out there spreading the word to idiots like me who they find wandering around campgrounds with a beer and a sore back.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Even my wife, who has refused to try sleeping in a hammock, made the comment that maybe it was time for her to try it out. This epiphany came from when she and my niece were sleeping in a tent while I was hanging in my hammock. They constantly were sliding down in the tent because of their sloping camp site and she woke up complaining about her back and neck. I told her my back felt great and I had a very comfortable night. She said, " Maybe I will try a hammock next time."
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

The last time we camped as a family I told them all that my camping days may be over unless I find a way to sleep. Laying on the ground was tough on my old bones. The choices were to give up completely or find something different.

Thanks to the information here and at WB, I found it.

TWS

* My wife now wants one (+1), my niece (+2) and my younger brother (+3).

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Four season hanging and hammocking in general is definately growing...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Oh, you know as soon as I tied up my Hennessy, it hit the mainstream. The days are officially numbered to when you'll hear, "You sleep on the dirt? With the bugs?"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I thought most of us were already "special"
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I thought most of us were already "special"
    Just during the Olympics.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    I think that there are still a few problems to solve before hammock camping replaces the family tent. They're easy to solve but I don't think there are commercial "solutions" that the average consumer can buy at their local megastore.

Hammocks are certainly becoming more common with the solo camper, even a solo camper in a group setting, but not so much with families.

Many family campgrounds are optimized for trailer and tent car camping with flat ground and open spaces. I'm heading out on my vacation tonight and have to take along a go-to-ground solution to deal with whatever I might find on the way.

Anybody want to market a portable change room that hangs from your hammock line? Yeah, I know you can change in your hammock, but what about getting out of your wet bathing suit at a KOA?

Anybody want to market a common shelter system so the family can hang out under the same roof for sleeping, changing, bugs, and bad weather? Maybe a 12x12 kitchen tent that doubles as a family hammock stand?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Anybody want to market a portable change room that hangs from your hammock line? Yeah, I know you can change in your hammock, but what about getting out of your wet bathing suit at a KOA?
    If you're car camping then you always have the option of using this from Cabela's. Not all that expensive and plenty of room inside for changing showering, etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast