WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

the foot box issue

Hey all. Everytime i setup my jrb uq and i lay on the bb diagonal, my feet end up pushing the footbox portion of the uq off the feet. This happens when the feet push it forward and it gets stuck under the footbox. But everyone should know that this happens in my hammock stand as of right now, its been awhile since i got out(BSF a few months ago) so i don't remember if it does this on trees or not. Anyway, if it does i think i may have a fix, and i know others have already designed their own fixes. I was gearing my fix towards as light as possible, so what i might do is have a gross grain loop or sew on the top portion of the hammock around the upper middle of the footbox area, on the outside of the hammock. Another loop on the opposite side of the hammock. A shock cord is secured to the loop opposite the footbox and ran over the ridgeline and through the loop on the otherside(the footbox side). Then back through the loop on the side opposite the footbox where it is fed through a drawstring. Kind of like how the end of the quilt closes up with drawstrings on the jrb quilts, but also different in that its not cinching it shut. Instead it is just pulling it over, more sideways. This should allow you to cinch that quilt over the footbox if your laying on a diagonal. comments, or similar experiments?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I put 1/4 inch elastic loop at the hammock where teh quilt corners are. I use the same biner that supports the quilt and hook them on the elastic. II use elastic b/c it is more forgiving.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    No under quilt will slide off the BB foot any more so than a Speer or ENO or similiar bottom hammock...The issue is the sleeper forcing the slight asym....

HH and Switchback hammocks do not have this issue as they have tie outs that JRB UQ and many homemade UQ side ladder loops attach too...

Happy Camper has posted of sewing a GG loop on the side of the BB to align UQ in another thread.... The non sewing club can simply put a grip clip high on the BB edge in the aligning spot...Oh Yeh, the same is true of the left shoulder, fix it the same way.

Easy and less weight than your proposal.

Pan

PS, edit, This slipping issue is usually from drawing the end cord too tight.... There should be approx 16-18 inches between the toggles when cinched as a UQ on hammocks of this size.
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 03-27-2010 at 13:09.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

pan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    No under quilt will slide off the BB foot any more so than a Speer or ENO or similiar bottom hammock...The issue is the sleeper forcing the slight asym....

HH and Switchback hammocks do not have this issue as they have tie outs that JRB UQ and many homemade UQ side ladder loops attach too...

Happy Camper has posted of sewing a GG loop on the side of the BB to align UQ in another thread.... The non sewing club can simply put a grip clip high on the BB edge in the aligning spot...Oh Yeh, the same is true of the left shoulder, fix it the same way.

Easy and less weight than your proposal.

Pan
    thanks pan, will try to loose the drawcord more next time, and post back, i just took everything down to weigh it. Also pan, i dont know if you own a blackbird, but when you attach your uq suspension how far is it from the end of your hammock. As you know there are two attachment points. There is the initial several wrap prussic(holds better on tiny dynemma) a about 4 inchs from the END of the fabric bundle on the blackbird. Then there is the single loop around the hammock fabric body PAST the hammock fabric bundle. How far should this loop be from the end of the fabric bundle? In other words, how far into the hammock body should the loop be from the end of the fabric bundle? The reason i ask is because i know theses suspensions were originally made for bridges, and the bb is long for a hammock, and of course all hammocks are different.
    PS, edit, This slipping issue is usually from drawing the end cord too tight.... There should be approx 16-18 inches between the toggles when cinched as a UQ on hammocks of this size.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    thanks pan, will try to loose the drawcord more next time, and post back, i just took everything down to weigh it. Also pan, i dont know if you own a blackbird, but when you attach your uq suspension how far is it from the end of your hammock. As you know there are two attachment points. There is the initial several wrap prussic(holds better on tiny dynemma) a about 4 inchs from the END of the fabric bundle on the blackbird. Then there is the single loop around the hammock fabric body PAST the hammock fabric bundle. How far should this loop be from the end of the fabric bundle? In other words, how far into the hammock body should the loop be from the end of the fabric bundle? The reason i ask is because i know theses suspensions were originally made for bridges, and the bb is long for a hammock, and of course all hammocks are different.
    Ikemouser,

The JRB suspensions predate the BMBH by 5 years... They were originally for gathered end hammocks. HH, ENO Speer etc...The girth hitch normally goes on the suspesion line and the over hand goes at the very end of the hammock body...How far out, is dependant on your sag etc... Since the HH and BB are nearly identical in ridge length and bottom length, I 'd say the girth goes 4-6 inches outboard of the hammock material as it forms the knot...Least it did when we tested the BB.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I know shug is religious about putting the uq suspension OVER the foot box. He does this in his videos. (don't ask me which one???) That way your feet don't move the uq.

Don't know if that applies here, in your specific case, but it works for me with my diy uq's.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I sewed a doubled over piece of GG onto the edge of the BB body at the foorbox and the opposite corner, up at the head. These tie-offs line up with the loops on my MW3 so I can tie it into position. About a foot of GG altogether and a little thread. Not too heavy.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    On footbox side I sewed gg loop to the black grosgrain trim on the corner angle of Blackbird footbox. Then I add a loop of shock cord, mitten hook, and cord lock. The mitten hook attaches to a loop on the underquilt and I tighten it up with the cord lock. The loop of shock cord and cord lock add some give and take if the quilt and hammock are not lined up exactly the same each time. Works for me.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    On footbox side I sewed gg loop to the black grosgrain trim on the corner angle of Blackbird footbox. Then I add a loop of shock cord, mitten hook, and cord lock. The mitten hook attaches to a loop on the underquilt and I tighten it up with the cord lock. The loop of shock cord and cord lock add some give and take if the quilt and hammock are not lined up exactly the same each time. Works for me.
    Photo please.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Our DIY UQ's have a GG loop sewed into them at around 1/3 of the way from the foot end of the quilt on the left hand side. We connect a piece of shockcord from the right foot end corner to this left side loop, over the top ridgeline of the hammock. Seems to work well to keep the footbox in place, and also helps keep the left shoulder in place too, without attaching anything permanently to the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast