Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Chose

How to Chose

I am sitting here in Iraq trying to plan a 09 throu hike, well hopefully unless I get forced into another tour. I have figured out allot of my equipment already but I have gotten stuck on the issue of hammocks. I have never used one before for hiking, but the thought interests me. My question is how do you chose between the myriad of brands out there when most of the brands are sold online only. I think I have narrowed my possibilities down to the HH and spree. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated thanks.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    First of all thank you for your service, I for one greatly appreciate it. I have only ever slept in the hammocks that I make, and they are more like the speer hammocks. I have never tried an HH, but I like the concept.

People on here "gang" up and have campouts all the time. The best advice I have, especially if you are going to thru hike, is to go to one of our "hangs" and just try out the different ones. Everyone has their opinion, but it would be a good way to make up your own mind.

My prayers are with you,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    AH,

THANK YOU and your peers for doing for others what they can't do for themselves! Your sacrifices are so greatly appreciated.

I have used Hennessy Hammocks for a few years and am happy. I'll try a homemade before long (been talking about it forever ) just for kicks.

The best I can tell, most any hammock (that fits your dimensions & weight) is comfortable. Read up, attend a Hang, and ask lots of questions and you'll find something that works, then you'll buy/make a few others just because that's what hikers do !

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There must be a chute rigger or two over there. I say get one (or more) of them interested in hammocking, then provide them with the multitude of DIY directions you can find here and there on this site. You'll have more hammocks to try than you could imagine. I bet a few beers would pay their fee.

Other than that; good luck, God bless, and for pete's sake, keep your head down!

Ya i wish i could come and attend a hang, but once I get home early next year I am not really going to be able to take any leave till xmas 08 and then I will be doing a throu hike in march 09, do you guys do hangs that early in the season?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We do in Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    There must be a chute rigger or two over there. I say get one (or more) of them interested in hammocking, then provide them with the multitude of DIY directions you can find here and there on this site. You'll have more hammocks to try than you could imagine. I bet a few beers would pay their fee.

Other than that; good luck, God bless, and for pete's sake, keep your head down!
    two things wrong with that....no airborne units where I am at, and sadly...no beer

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We do in Florida!
    Ditto what Cannibal said....Let us know if you make it to FL.

Defiantly, lets all hope I donnt get forced into a second tour, if that doesn't happen expect to see me in Florida, and then on the trail. Thanks guys. One last thing poking around a bit more, what are your thoughts about the HH supershelter vs Jacks are Better no sniveler/nest vs speer snugfit. The JB is so expensive but it looks really nice, and wouldn't require a sleeping bag like the HH does. Let me know what you think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't like pads (reminds me too much of ground dwelling days) so I would say go for the No Sniveler. You get the warmth on the hammock or just wearing around camp. Dual-use is cool.

No beer!? Now I'm really saying some prayers for ya!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast