Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nest Sag Help?

Question Nest Sag Help?

Hello,

I posted this same question on whiteblaze, but I though it would be good to post it here.I recently bought a Jacks 'R' Better 3 Season set and am having a hard time setting up the nest. When I velcro the nest together I am unable to get rid of the sag below the slit on my HH Explorer Ultralight A-Sym. Has anyone else had this problem? I put my wife in it last night and tried for 45 minutes to get rid of the sag. On the other side I can get it to fit perfectly. The only thing close to a solution that I could find was to velcro the nest to the HH slit. This eliminated most of the sag. I still had to contend with the draft from the now open slit. I have tried every combination possible with no luck. Last night I slept to a record 4:45 before the cold spot woke me up. It was a pretty warm night with the temperature about 50F. Does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Also, If I have to velcro the nest to the HH velcro, is there anyway that I can keep the slit closed? Thanks in advance for any input anyone can give on this.

maybe the suspension cords need to be pulled further up past the hh knot?? I have not experienced this proplem.. I never velcro the nest to the HH slit, so I can't help you there... Good luck

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I experience the same problem you do when I don't velcro the Nest to the HH slit. Velcro'ing the Nest to the HH solves most of the problem for me, though - I don't get drafts through the slit like some people.

It must be different body types that lay in the HH differently that causes the underquilt to fit a bit differently for some people.

The only thing I can really think of to keep the slit closed is to hang the foot end a bit higher, so your body slide up towards the head end and puts less force on the opening. Maybe lay a bit less diagonally and see if it stays closed. Then if you can get comfortable that way you'll be good.

Let us know how it works!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    On colder nights, I will get a noticable draft when my nest is attached to the slit. I usually put my top cover between my leg and the slit and it's not an issue. I tend to sleep on as much of a diagonal as possible, so the slit is more to the side.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Adjusting the Nest

Just a point of clarification. Here's a good picture showing how to attach the suspension system.

I always attach the quilt to the Hennessy slit. That shouldn't prevent the slit from closing as long as the quilt isn't billowing up into the slit. The weight of your body in the hammock should close the slit. If the quilt is preventing the slit from closing, push it back out of the hole.

One thing you might want to check is centering of the quilt on the hammock. Try sliding the quilt more to the head end by tightening the suspension system at the head end.

Another alternative is to close the quilt on itself for 12 inches or so at the crotch of the slit. That will block the opening after you're in but still allow you to enter through the slit.

Above all, keep trying. There are a variety of adjustments available on the Nest (side tabs, end cords, suspension system, omni-tape, etc.). Eventually you will find the configuration that will work for you. When it's right it's too sweet to miss out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thank for the picture Smee. I have been setting my wrong since I got it and never could figure out why it was loose.

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Thanks for the pic Smee. Just confimed that I was attaching mine right. Great product by the way. Will soon be ordering my No Sniveller.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Still trying

Hey all,

Thanks for the ideas. I have tried all of them, but moving the nest closer to the head end. I will give that a try tonight. Thanks smee for the picture. The first night I tried the nest I did not use that configuration, but the last two nights I have. It was a lot better with the slit closed, but completely slack with the nest closed on itself. I think I am having problems because my hammock is a long one. The best luck I have had is moving the hitches well before the knot (hommock end). I can't bring it any closer, because the hammock gets thick. As I am trying this out at about 50F I want to stay warm at that termerature first. I am heading down to the gathering this weekend, and it is supposed to be a low of 32F. I would really like to get this right before then.... Anyone going to be there? Thanks again. I'll keep trying.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd definitely bring along some backup insulation to add for those temps until you get your setup dialed in. Just a pad should get you through. Low 30s is about my limit with the JRB set even with it set up properly.

Or if you have another top bag for those temps, doubling up the JRBs would be more comfortable and should easily keep you toasty at 32 F, even allowing some fudge factor for the air gaps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    Smee, was that a half hitch right at the end of the sptra cord and the another down on the hh itself?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast